A farewell to Journalism

Nino on top of my legendary car.

Nino on top of my legendary car.

Over the course of my high school career there are many things that I will remember vividly and hold close to my heart as time passes by in my life. The people I have met, the places I have been, and the things I have done are all who make me the man I am today.

Among everything in my life, my tenure as a journalism student will stick out among most other things I have done here at Elder High School. Not only has my journalism career helped me branch out and get to know more people and communicate better within the walls of Elder, it has also given me an inner drive to pursue all other tasks in life.

As a young, aspiring writer I didn’t know what I was getting into my sophomore year when I signed up for seventh period journalism. I quickly learned what being a journalism student was all about and bought into The Purple Quill and what it had to offer. I didn’t know what was in store for me over the next couple of years through all of the memories I have made. Looking back, I don’t think I would have done anything different. Although getting everything in on time and the whole “effort” thing I wasn’t always there throughout my time in room s134, I still felt that I really lived it up and enjoyed myself. After all, high school is about having fun and learning life-long lessons, right?

From writers like Joe Kraft ’16 to Tyler Schutte ’19 I have seen some very diverse backgrounds and beginnings in this class. I have seen relationships fail (Jacob Geiser and his girlfriend break up over the phone) to naked butts pressed up against the glass by Mr. Rogers desk (Joe Kraft mooning the class) and I wouldn’t trade those memories for the world. So many different people with different aspirations have come and go throughout the years, and I think that is the beauty of it all. We all have different ideas and stories to share which is what makes The Purple Quill so much fun to be a part of.

Sam Middendorf ’16 taught me a lesson last year that I hold close to my heart to this day and always will. He said, “Nino man, you need to start living in the moment and stop looking forward to the future.”

Well, since he has spoken those words last spring, I have started enjoying every day for what it’s worth because you never really know when it will be your last. A big thanks to Gary Rogers and every one along the way, and here’s to journalism career I will never forget. Cheers motherlovers.