Panthers make some ribs

Five Elder students help make the Boathouse a better place.

The typical Boathouse uniform consists of a golf shirt and a name tag.

Mark Byron

The moment you walk in to the luxurious restaurant such as the Montgomery Inn Boathouse, you’d expect to see some older guys wearing bow-ties walking around cleaning tables and walking around taking empty plates from customers.  However, The Montgomery Inn Boathouse has hired a group of Elder Panthers

Montgomery Inn Boathouse main level view. Credit to Cincinnati.com.

to serve as bus boys.

Five Elder students have been hired at the Boathouse.  These Elder students include Connor Bareswilt, Isaac Moore, Josh Niemann, Steve Mischell, and myself.

Steven Mischell was the first Elder student to be hired at the Boathouse.

I’ve been there since the summer and it’s an enjoyable place to be working. The managers are cool when it comes to scheduling and, most importantly, You can make a ton of money.

— Steven Mischell

Mischell states, “I’ve been there since the summer and it’s an enjoyable place to be working.  The managers are cool when it comes to scheduling and, most importantly, You can make a ton of money.”

Being a higher end restaurant, higher end paychecks are the result.  The work is hard and fast-paced, but the relaxed scheduling and chemistry among the Elder bus boys makes the time pass faster.

Josh Niemann and I joined the Inn on the same day back in October.

The Typical Boathouse uniform consists of the classic golf shirt and a simple name tag.

Niemann adds, “I didn’t work much because of hockey.  I told the manager I could but he seemed to think I would be a little too tough on me to work during the season.  I mean it just wouldn’t on these muscles… The money is insane.”

After talking to Mischell and Niemann, while also having my own thoughts, the money seems to be an attractive factor for working at the Boathouse.

Senior Connor Bareswilt says, “It’s one of the few jobs where someone can actually enjoy working on a Friday or Saturday.  Because we’re in on tips with the servers, the more people that come in the more we make, so I like being busy.  If we’re not busy it can be boring and I get frustrated knowing I could be making more money on a different night.”

This is one of the few jobs where being busy excites the employees.

Bareswilt says, “Nothing wrong with making the paychecks fatter… It makes the time go faster too.”

Another factor that makes Montgomery Inn a great job is the employee buffet.  Every shift you have, you can show up around fifteen minutes early and be offered a free meal.

Mischell says, “When I roll out of my bed at five something after my post-school nap, It’s a good fallback plan because not only do I not have to cook, but I also get a high quality meal for the best price: free.”

Though the Panthers started filing into the Boathouse in the summer and in the fall, Montgomery Inn’s newest hire, Isaac Moore, has waited until the dwindling months of school to call the Boathouse his home.  His first day is April 11th, and he seemed ecstatic to be making the big bucks.

“I really just needed a job to try to pay for college.  It just happened that Steve [Mischell] had a job at the Boathouse and got me an interview… I sat down and the manager just dropped this big stack of papers and said to start filling the forms out, and I could tell from right there it was going to be a chill place to work.”

So, if you’re a high school student looking to put some money in your pockets in an entertaining atmosphere, alongside a multitude of panthers, Montgomery Inn may be the right fit for you.