Rip N’ Time breaks stereotypes on debut album

Rip N Time delivers an old school rock n roll feel on their debut album

Nicholas James Antone

Rip N’ Time delivers an old school rock n’ roll feel on their debut album

As an avid fan of music, particularly rock, I am always pleased when I get my hands on any sort of unheard album. Fortunately, Rip N’ Time, a high school band from Los Angeles, sent me their new CD and asked if I would do a feature of it for The Quill; how could I say no?

Emily Woodbind, a student from a West Los Angeles high school and publicist for the band says that the band formed as a project for a course called Multimedia studies. Teacher Gunther Parigaliy started off the year for the class by introducing the following quote: “In September 2013, four young musicians began a journey—traveling through a portal where space, time, and music intersect.”

From there, the goal of the class was to apply the quote to their individual interests.  In guitarist Riley Ripintyme’s mind, he knew that he must start a band to truly grasp the idea. This would become the official start of Rip N’ Time. Not only did this apply to Ripintyme and his own project, but eventually turned into a class effort to promote the band. My utmost respect goes out to any band willing to send a CD through the mail just to hear what some guy in Cincinnati’s (that’s me) opinion of it is.

Titled Playing Her Guitar Suite, the three song EP contains a plethora of good vibes and outstanding guitar riffs. More than just a few songs, this album is a melodic journey with sounds reminiscent to early 70’s psychedelic rock. Jangly guitars with grooving bass riffs will set your mind free as you wonder how in the world this album is the work of mere high school students.

Today’s typical high school band includes four members: two guitarists (one of them the vocalist as well), a bassist, and a drummer. Rip N’ Time is no exception to this traditional set up: Riley Ripintyme on lead guitar, Langston Labelle on vocals and rhythm guitar, Akemi Lee on bass, and Vincent Tarrega on drums. Their sound however, differs greatly from the loud, angry stereotypical teen band.

Most people would expect a band of four teens to be writing songs about overbearing parents and figuring out what to do after high school. Rip N’ Time takes a totally different route. In fact, only one song on the EP contains actual lyrics, the rest of the EP is around 13 minutes of pure instrumentals, ranging from 50’s metal sounding “Twisting Road” to a guitar symphony of sorts in “Suite Dream”.

If any theme can be taken from the album, it’s that music is simply made to be enjoyed; I know I did just that when giving it a listen. Although it’s probably not an EP to get you pumped up while driving, Playing Her Guitar Suite is a blissful journey that’s perfect to listen to when in dire need to relieve stress.