College looms over the junior class

How can we afford to pay for our future success?

We all know the weight of the deciding what college to attend. With the end of the second semester coming ever so close we will soon be forced to put serious consideration into choosing a college. Choosing the right college and career can lead to a life of happiness and prosperity. It’s a lot to ask a 17 year old what career path he wants to take and where he wants to pursue it. Parents say it’s never too early to start thinking about college. I disagree.
Another problem is that even if juniors know what they want to do and what college they want to attend, they may not be able to pay the skyrocketing tuition.

I’ve made a slide show that you can see at the top of this story with screen shots from online showing the tuition and fees of many popular college choices for elder students. As you can see college tuition is sky high. Say I wanted to be a doctor but come from a middle class family here on the west side.

Unless I have above a 4.0 I’m going to pay upwards of 50 grand a year. That is not a possibility for most kids at Elder.

Another option is taking out a student loan. Loans are not the ideal way for anyone to pay for college but can be helpful if necessary. Scholarships, grants, and financial aid are the most quintessential way to pay for school. Financial aid is the most realistic thing you will get, and even then schools will most likely low-ball you on the amount they’re willing to give. No doubt paying for college will be an uphill battle.
All these decisions and choices are stressing students out. I asked three of my fellow students various questions about college.

I started off with a friend of mine, Jared Marsh. Jared’s top college choices “in no particular order are Miami Ohio, University of Dayton, Ohio State, and Ohio University.

Jared not only likes the options for college has in state but also favors the in-state tuition prices. My next question was whether thinking about college stresses him out?

He answered with a firm “yes.”

My final question dealt with the most realistic way to pay for college. Marsh said, ‘‘I plan on taking out loans for med school and paying them off with the bank I make as a doctor.”
The next kid I bothered with my questioning was junior Robby Oswald. His top choices for college are University of Cincinnati, Ohio State, and LSU. Robby confidently said that thinking about college does not stress him out and he’ll “let life come to him.” Robby says he’ll have to work to pay his college but will also have help from his parents.
My last interviewee was Sam Barsan. He’s looking at University of Cincinnati, Xavier University, Mount St. Joe, and Ohio State University. Sam said “the idea of college is a stressful topic in my family.” Sam knows that paying for school will not be easy. He plans on saving the money he’s already earned from work, and to continue working through college. He also reluctantly plans to take out student loans.

These years at Elder have passed frighteningly fast. We all have to make tough decisions. It’s just scary to think about how a couple teenage decisions will decide your entire future. I guess it’s all just part of growing up. Best of luck to all on their quest for the right college.