Filed under Sports

Rousey starts a new chapter

Former UFC star Ronda Rousey has signed a "full-time" contract with the WWE.

During the Royal Rumble on Sunday, February 28th, Ronda Rousey made a surprise entrance at the end of the first ever 30 woman Royal Rumble match. She didn’t really do anything, but point at the WrestleMania sign hanging above. It made headlines and sparked many different opinions from both fans and fellow wrestlers.

Rousey points at the banner in the middle of the Royal Rumble.

Most women in the WWE locker room were very mad when Rousey came out. Some of them went to Twitter. Most were making the point that Rousey’s entrance took the spotlight away from the first ever 30 woman Royal Rumble match and moved it onto Rousey. One wrestler, known by the stage name Sasha Banks, was asked about the Rousey situation in a post-show interview. She said, “I have nothing nice to say so I won’t say anything at all.”

Connor McGregor, one of the best to ever fight in the octagon, also chimed in on Rousey’s WWE debut. “I’m delighted for her. Absolutely over the moon for her. She looked like she really enjoyed herself at the event and I was very, very happy to see her. She’s a pioneer for the game and she came through it all and faced big wins and big, big losses and she came through it. It’s great to see her represent herself and mixed martial arts and have fun in the WWE. I know she’s been a big fan all her life. It’s great to see that.”

Although Connor McGregor was ecstatic about Rousey’s new contract, some of the boys back here at home disapproved of it. Tyler Eshman, a local MMA expert said, “I think it’s stupid. The only reason she’s doing it is because she got her faced kicked in while in the UFC and she loves to be the center of attention. However, I find it dumb how the WWE is allowing her to use the same nick name as Rowdy Roddy Piper.” Corbin Scholtes, a fellow staff writer, had a similar viewpoint. “It’s trash. She’s wasting her talents with a bunch of posers.”

Rousey’s last fight was with Amanda Nunes. It was completely unforgettable and embarrassing. Rousey lost in 48 seconds to underdog and the Bantamweight challenger, Nunes. Rousey gave up the belt and called it quits.

Almost a year after the Nunes fight, Rousey comes back onto the “fighting” scene to the Royal Rumble. Rousey already has the skills it takes to be a wrestle and probably wants to feel “on top” again. She is a freak athlete and already has a decent reputation. She has acting skills already from being in movies like Furious 7 and The Expendables 3.

Ronda Rousey, who made her name as a UFC fighter, now is touting the WWE brand.

There is a reason Ronda Rousey is using “Rowdy” in front of her name. She clamied that Rowdy Roddy Piper was the reason she got into fighting. She claimed, “He was my inspiration for everything I did in MMA.” She isn’t stealing Roddy Piper’s look, but paying a tribute to him. Would Roddy Piper approve? No idea. He has been dead for over two years.

However, Rousey’s transfer into the WWE is a good move for her indisputably. First she has claimed in multiple interviews that she has been a lifelong fan and this new contract is a dream come true. Not only is she living out her childhood dream, but she is also getting paid pretty well. Although she probably won’t make as much as she made in the UFC, premier wrestlers do make well into the millions.

Jeff Tuttle '18, Staff Writer

I don't play no games. "I don’t take vacations. I don’t get sick. I don’t observe major holidays. I’m a jack hammer." - Jim Harbaugh.