Elder’s Cafeteria, is it worth it?

The great debate of Elder

Elder has made a lot of changes for the ’18-19 school year.

AVI Foodsystems came into Elder and changed everything we knew and loved about Elder’s Cafeteria.  Elder has added a snack bar that is open from the morning until 3:00.  Students can grab food from here as they go home or to class.

Students have had many opinions about the new food system.  Students are often complaining about the prices of the food.  However, some students do like the need food bar.

So must students have to sacrifice price for quality?  Senior Nick Gillespie says, “The food is way overpriced and I miss getting two pieces of pizza for the same price of one now!”

Senior Jack Ellert said, “I don’t think the food is all that much better.”  He also added that he misses specials like sloppy fries and his personal favorite, calzones.

That was a common occurrence when I interviewed people.  Students loved the old lunch system and saw no reason to change it.  However, certain students do like knowing what they can get everyday such as Anthony Holmes who gets a burrito. You can not definitely say that the cafeteria is better or worse.

The New Snack Bar

Another positive review comes from senior Vince Bley who said, “I love the new ice coffee, I get it every morning if I come in early enough.”  Around Elder I have seen many kids carrying around coffee cups with either hot or iced coffee.  I have also spoken to non-coffee drinkers who have said that the new coffee has made them coffee drinkers.

So is the new cafeteria system bad? No, its just different.

Rosabeth Moss Kanter of the Harvard Business Review says this about change, “Change is meant to bring something different, but how different?”

“We are creatures of habit. Routines become automatic, but change jolts us into consciousness, sometimes in uncomfortable ways. Too many differences can be distracting or confusing. Leaders should try to minimize the number of unrelated differences introduced by a central change. Wherever possible keep things familiar. Remain focused on the important things; avoid change for the sake of change.”

So change is not a always a bad thing, students will just have to adjust.