Filed under News

Cosby finally put behind bars

Bill Cosby is finally in prison for sexual assault.

Cosby had been accused of sexual misconduct/assault by 60 women.  CNN said this about the Cosby’s sentence, “Bill Cosby, once known as “America’s Dad,” was sentenced Tuesday to three to 10 years in a state prison for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand at his home 14 years ago.”

With Cosby in prison rumors and headlines are flying.  Most famously, Cosby was supposedly slapped by a prison chicken patty.  If that does not make you laugh I do not know what will.  A prison official came out and said this about the story, “This did not happen, and I am unhappy with anyone who is reporting such fake news.”  Also recently Cosby’s wife Camille Cosby has tried to take money out of Cosby’s account.  The bank however denied her when she tried to take out more money after initially cashing a $100,000 check.  The story lines will continue to run rampant while Bill Cosby is in prison.

Not many people hold Cosby is the same regard that they once did.  Judge Steven O’Neil said this after Cosby was sentenced, “It is time for justice,” “Mr. Cosby, this has all circled back to you. The day has come. The time has come.” Acknowledging the impact that the case has had on Mr. Cosby’s legacy, Judge O’Neill added: “Fallen angels suffer most.”

Cosby’s accusers want him to be sentenced for longer.  Janice Baker-Kinney a former bartender who testified against Cosby in court in April, alleging that the comedian drugged and raped her at a house party in Reno, Nevada, in 1982. She was one of the five accusers permitted to testify at the trial.  After the sentencing, Baker-Kinney thanked her alleged attacker.

“My final thanks goes to you, Mr. Cosby. Yes, I said thank you Mr. Cosby. Thank you for your enormous ego and arrogance, for without it we might not be here today.”  Cosby thought he would be safe because his popularity but that proved to be his downfall.

Lili Bernard, a former actress who accused Cosby of drugging and raping her when she guest-starred on a 1992 episode of “The Cosby Show.”  She said, “It is a victory for womanhood,” Bernard said after leaving the courtroom in tears following Cosby’s guilty verdict in April. “It is a victory for all sexual-assault survivors, female and male.”

Cosby’s accusers talking after the trial

Bill Cosby’s days are numbered and he could spend them in a prison cell.  Many of his accusers have yet to testify and Cosby could see his prison time increase.  Cosby deserves everything he has gotten and he probably deserves more.

Brandon Good '19, Staff Writer

"Sometimes when I close my eyes I can't see." Marquette King