High school senior accepted by all

New York state senior earns acceptance into all eight Ivy League schools

Kwasi Enin is faced with a difficult question of which Ivy League school to attend

courtesy USA Today online

A high school senior from Shirley, New York by Long Island’s south shore applied and was accepted to all eight Ivy League institutions this term. This made him the internet-claimed smartest 17-year-old in the nation. His name is Kwasi Enin and he attends William Floyd High School.

Most people think if a person is smart enough to get into one Ivy League school, they should be accepted into most of the others. But that is an incorrect belief. All eight of the Ivy League schools look for different characteristics so often times applicants will only apply to one to three of them, let alone all eight.

The nation’s average acceptance rate for four-year colleges and universities is 67% of applicants. In the Ivy League, Cornell has the highest acceptance rate with 14%; and the most lowest rate is Harvard’s 5.9%.

The best part about this story is that Enin isn’t even the smartest student at his school.

He is only ranked eleventh in his class of 647. He did not score a perfect SAT as we hear in other news stories, but placed in the 99th percentile for his ethnicity with a 2250 out of 2400. What breaks him away from the mainstream of other geniuses is that he has accumulated 11 AP courses that will transfer over into college credit. He also has experience working at Stony Brook University’s radiology department as a volunteer.

Enin is not some nerd who has his face in the books all day every day as the stereotype is portrayed in movies and television. He is a talented violinist with an outgoing personality.

The personality is probably what helped drive his acceptance into each school. As some scholarships and programs for regular colleges require a sit-down interview with an admissions counselor, each Ivy League demands it for regular acceptance. That means Enin blew away eight separate interviewers.

The only challenge he has left is choosing which one to attend. Financially, he should be okay as his parents are both doctors, but Princeton is reported to be the frontrunner as they are offering him to the most in scholarships. He has told the news that he will wait until he hears back from each school on what they offer before he makes his final decision.

Enin, who will probably enter into each school as an academic sophomore or junior because of his AP courses, is not your run-in-the-mill nerd. He has the personality and the skills to become a leader. This will not be the last time we hear his name.