“Panthers for Life” stand up for what they believe in

In recent years, there have been many debates between supporters who are pro-life and those who are pro-choice. The supporters of the pro-choice movement believe that anti-abortion laws are a violation of religious freedom. The other side of the debate, the pro-life supporters, believe that life begins at conception and that the human fetus is a person and has a right to life. The Pro-Life Club at Elder, led by Ms. Kurzhals, meets at least once a month to plan and organize certain activities that educate others about what they believe.

When asked about the common goal of the club, Ms. Kurzhals stated that the club follows their own “Pro-Life Mission Statement” which reads, “The mission of Elder High School students for Life is to establish an active pro-life culture among the youth of our community by educating our peers on life and by actively promoting the right to life for all persons (pre-born and born).”

Kurzhals showed her belief in the pro-life campaign through a quote by Pope Francis. He said, “The right to life is the first among human rights. Without the right to life, everything else falls.”

“I am passionately pro-life and its a great feeling to share in that with my students. The club is a great way to get involved in building a culture of life in our community,” said Ms. Kurzhals.

Jared Mallot, the secretary and Co-Vice President of the Pro-Life Club, states, “As a Roman Catholic, I am Pro-Life because it is my religious duty to fight for the unborn being aborted at staggering rates daily. Abortion is in direct defiance of the commonly accepted idea of the sanctity of human life. On a more personal level, nearly 90% of babies diagnosed with Down Syndrome are cruelly murdered because they are “different.” Having a sister with Down Syndrome has made me who I am and opened so many new opportunities in my life.”

Devlin Smith, a second year member of the club, also believes in the pro-life movement. Smith said, “The reason that I am pro-life, is because it shows that, not only abortion is wrong, it is also murder. I want to help people realize that fetuses are people too.”

Junior Ryan Ruehl, another member of the Pro-Life Club, states,”I am pro-life because I don’t believe in abortion. I think abortion is one of the worst parts of our society.”

The members of the Pro-Life Club don’t only believe that life begins at conception, they also act on it. Throughout the year, the Pro-Life Club partakes in many activities such as praying the steps at Holy Cross-Immaculata Parish on Good Friday, the Baby Bottle Campaign to raise money for Pregnancy Center West which starts at the beginning of November, and Praying the Rosary in the Pit. The club also is involved in the 40 Days for Life where they pray for the unborn and women contemplating abortion outside of Planned Parenthood.

A big activity for the Pro-Life Club is the March for Life Trip in Washington D.C. The March for Life takes place annually on January 22nd, the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court case. Every year, the Pro-Life Club sends a group of students to take part in the rallies to profess their beliefs about abortion.

When asked about the March for Life, Smith replied,” Although I haven’t been to the march, I watch it online every year. This year, I will hopefully attend with my fellow Pro-Life Club members.”

Jared Mallot made the point, “Teenage guys don’t always stand up for issues concerning women, and seeing nearly 20 young men open up about their beliefs is remarkable.” The Pro-Life Club does what at times can be the unpopular thing so they can to help educate and spread the belief of being pro-life and hopefully more will join the pro-life movement.