Students wish for different exam schedule

The idea of having to study during Christmas break is ludicrous, and Elder students are not happy.

As Christmas swiftly approaches, many high school students are preparing for midterm exams. Various schools around the tri-state area have many different procedures for when they schedule their exams. Elder has students take exams after a lengthy 13-day Christmas break, which disappoints a majority of students who looked forward to a relaxing and peaceful break from hours of studying and homework.

By pushing exams back after Christmas break, students are forced to start studying for their exams during the break which can interfere with many holiday activities that were previously planned. The idea of having to study during Christmas break is ludicrous, and Elder students are not happy.

Junior Jon Huschart weighted in on why midterm exams affect his holiday spirit. “I find it really hard to enjoy spending time with my family during Christmas break because I’m so worried about exams,” Jon said. “I think we should start exams the week before Christmas break so that we can have a few weeks without having to focus on our schoolwork.”

Many students agree with what Jon had to say. Junior Mitchell Gibbs added the fact that having exams the week before Christmas break could also be a benefit for the teachers.

“If we take our exams before Christmas break, it allows our teachers to take their time grading our exams,” commented Mitch. “Students will be too busy enjoying their break that they won’t be expecting teachers to hurry and finish grading exams.”

Should midterm exams be given before or after Christmas break?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Although many students do disagree with the timing of exams, there are a handful of students who support exams after Christmas break. Sophomore Chris Conway fully supports the decision to take semester exams the week we return from Christmas break.

“I feel it’s easier to study since we have such a long break,” said Chris. When asked if studying takes away from his family time, Chris responded, “I’ve always been great with time management, so by studying a little bit each day, I’m able to do very well on my exams while enjoying the holidays with my family.”

Junior Nino Salamone had a unique view on this debate. “There are two ways that one can look at this argument,” says Nino. “Either you have all of Christmas break to study, or you have all of Christmas break to relax. Either way, I’m going to relax because I am a huge procrastinator.“

I have to agree with Nino on this one. Many students do not study a little each day like Chris does. Instead, many students will enjoy Christmas break for what it is: a time to procrastinate. So whether or not exams are given out before or after Christmas break, students will still make great use of Christmas break and not do any studying.