Filed under Features

More contagious than the Flu

The year is coming to a close.  It’s March, so that means the weather is getting warmer, the days are brighter, and College Basketball is at its peak.  Some might say that this is the best time of the year, and to some extent, I would have to agree.

This school year has flew by, especially as a senior, I can’t believe I only have a few months left here at Elder.  Now, since the year is winding down, that doesn’t mean it’s all sunshine and rainbows.  There is one dark cloud that seems to stay over Elder High School every year around this time.  This cloud is what we like to call “Senioritis”.

Many seniors will attest to having this so called senioritis, but some may argue that there is no such thing.  An anonymous source told me, “It’s not a thing.  Don’t make it a thing.”  To that statement John Cummings responded with, “It’s a thing, Old Sport.”

Michael Bittner
John Cummings continuing his legendary Tetris status

Senioritis isn’t just a battle between the students and the constant struggle of procrastination, but it is also a battle for the teachers that have these students in class.  Teachers spend their time and effort to teach us every day, so it has to be frustrating for them when the students (mostly seniors) start to take part in senioritis.

There are a few main causes for this situation.  The most common for the seniors is just the thought of one more quarter of high school.  Kids have been accepted and already know where they are going to college, so many of them think “What’s the point?”  It is easy to see when a senior has checked out of school.  They start showing up late or not at all, they play games during class, or even sleep the whole day.

Senioritis has taken a new height this year starting with the infamous Senior Skip Day.  Now usually this day is still well attended except the few seniors that just don’t care anymore.  However, this year was different.  There was a record number of seniors that skipped.  Granted, the day they chose was perfect because it completed a six day weekend so it couldn’t have worked out any better for them.

The worst part about this so called Senioritis is that it isn’t a phase, but rather it’s a disease, and it is more contagious then the flu.  I talked to junior Ben Deters and he said, “It’s already kicking in.  It started late sophomore year.”

It’s a thing, Old Sport”

— John Cummings '19

This is an issue.  It seems as if Senioritis is starting earlier and earlier for kids these days.  It won’t be long till absences and tardys are seen as normal.  This is a scary thought.

Maybe I’m getting old or I’m just different but I remember when people took pride when we had perfect attendance or good grades.  But as seniors, it’s different.  We are looking forward to leaving, not because we don’t like Elder, not at all, we love it here but we are ready for something new.

Another contributor to this disease is the thought of Prom.  Only juniors and seniors can relate to this because when we hear prom we hear the end of the year.  One prom leads into another then next thing you know were out of school in our swim trunks and flip flops.

We also see a trend with Senioritis when we get into March strictly because of March Madness.  The best basketball of the year comes at the perfect time for seniors.  It gives them another thing to do during class and look forward to during this time.

All of these things just add to the glory of high school.  It may not be the best thing, but it is a memory most kids will have forever.  Senior skip day, even though I didn’t take part in it, I heard was one of the best and final experiences you can have with your senior classmates. However, senioritis isn’t a good thing.  It’s dangerous how early it has started in some students, and the heights we have reached.  Many can see it is as a milestone, or we can see it as an issue.  It is up to you to decide what you want to think of it.  Will Senioritis get you?

To get your vaccination, see Mr. Grimm and he’ll tell you all about it.

Michael Bittner '19, Co-Editor in Chief

I'm back baby.  Second year on The Quill.  Still a sucker for cute dogs.  I promise to bring you the best and you can count on that.  It may be my...