Florida Gulf Coast shocks the nation

Florida Gulf Coast University entered the 2013 NCAA Tournament as a 15 seed, with little to no supporters of this relatively new program. FGCU is in its second year of NCAA tournament eligibility, making the tournament for the first time this year. Friday night, The Eagles shocked one of the favorites in the tournament, the Georgetown Hoyas. Georgetown was a strong team out of the Big East with much experience, which landed them a 2 seed. Only 6.1% of the players in ESPN’s Tournament Challenge picked the Eagles to prevail over a strong Hoyas team led by Otto Porter Jr. On Sunday, the Eagles went on to surprise every college basketball fan again by winning in a strong and dominating fashion against SDSU, a 7 seed. Entering the tournament, the Eagles had only finished second in their own conference, but had a strong win against Miami (FL); another 2 seed in the tournament. Led by Sherwood Brown, Bernard Thompson, and Chris Feiler, these Eagles are showing some real fight and have a tough matchup against the 3 seeded Florida Gators. Mike Jones, an Elder basketball player, answered a few questions about FGCU for me. My first question was what he liked about their style of play. Mike said, “ I like how it didn’t matter who scored for them and how unselfish they played and how they have fun doing it, very athletic team.” Mike told me that the small forward, Sherwood Brown, was the Eagles main threat. “I believed they had a great chance to beat SDSU because how much heart they were playing with and once they beat GTOWN I think they knew they could beat anyone.” Mike ended our interview by saying he believed the Eagles could pull off the upset against the Florida Gators. Jake Lammers, a former Elder basketball player, also admired the FGCU way of winning. Jake believes they pulled off the GTOWN upset simply because they were the underdog and had nothing to lose. Jake believes that the point guard, Brett Comer, is their X factor, because he works the ball around well. Jake knew only one thing about the Eagles prior to the tournament, the fact that they defeated the Hurricanes of Miami. I concluded the interview with his thoughts on whether they could pull off the ultimate upset against the Gators, and Jake replied, “Yeah, I think they can beat them, they match up well with them and FGCU has a lot of depth and I think they just need to slow down guys like Patric Young and Kenny Boyton and they have a really good chance.” FGCU is undoubtedly the Cinderalla of this tournament, along with Wichita State. Many people were shocked by the tournament’s first round in general, but specifically by this experienced FGCU Eagles team, the first ever 15 seed to advance to the Sweet Sixteen, and it Is “very sweet” indeed.