Doing away with the 1 dollar bill?

The thought of the 1$ coin has been tossed around for awhile but no one has really wanted to switch over to the coin due to the inconvenience of carrying around a pocket full of coins. Bright sides have arisen from switching over to the coin such as saving taxpayers about $4.4 billion over the next thirty years. Although an inconvenience of carrying around a pocket of coins, the tax cuts it would bring upon us would make people think otherwise. Over the past 5 years the U.S. has produced 2.4 billion presidential 1$ coins, but production was suspended about a year ago. The mint is preparing a report for congress showing how changes in the metal coins could save money. The US Mint report,which is due in mid-December, will have the results of nearly 18 months of work exploring a variety of new metal compositions and evaluating test coins for traits such as hardness, resistance to wear, availability of raw materials and costs. A penny cost more than 2 cents to make and a nickel cost more than 11 cents to make. Moving to multi-plated steel for coins would save the government nearly $200 million a year. The coin saves tax payers money because the coin can circulate around the U.S for 30 years before it needs to be replaced when pay bills need to be replaced every 4 to 5 years. Canada has already switched over to the 1$ coin and the Chief operating officer said that the people love it, they love it so much that they even came out with the 2$ coin. With this happening it might urge the US take to take the leap of going to coins and cutting out the bills. All in all there are two even sides unto which you can make a case for or against the 1$ coin which is why it has been such a discussed topic and not gone through with anything yet.