Hard work pays off for Elder grad

Sports have always been a driving force in Chick Ludwig’s life. The 1972 Elder grad grew up in St. William Parish at West Eighth and Rosemont listening to the Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Browns, and Cincinnati Royals. This love of sports developed into a sports writing career and eventually the job he’s always dreamt of, that of a sports radio host. Ludwig, a graduate of Ohio State’s school of journalism, got his start at the Western Star in Lebanon, Ohio where he covered mostly high school sports. After excelling in Lebanon, Ludwig received and accepted a job offer from The Lake County New-Herald. For the Herald-News, Ludwig continued to report high school athletics along with Cleveland State Basketball. After his two year stint in Cleveland, Ludwig took a position at The Dayton Daily News. This is where Ludwig would spend the next 30 years of his sports journalism career. Throughout his 30 years at The Daily, Ludwig covered the NFL, college basketball, Nascar, Wright State Athletic, and even the Olympics. “I spent thirty years at The Dayton Daily News as a sports writer. I started in June of 1979,” Ludwig said. “As 2009 was evolving, I knew that I could retire early at 55 with thirty years in.” After his retirement, Ludwig was expecting to be offered with job offers, however, that was not the case. “In 2009 when I retired, I thought everyone in the world is going to want me. Nobody wanted me,” Ludwig said laughing. “I then spent a year blogging sports for the Cincinnati Enquirer. Even during all those years at The Dayton Daily News, I always wanted to do radio. I was always a radio junkie.” His desire to become a sportscaster started while he walked the halls of Elder High. “I always wanted to be a sportscaster,” Ludwig admitted. He liked hanging out in the guidance office looking at the college and career offerings in broadcasting and communication. After many years filled with long nights of beating deadlines in the newspaper industry, Ludwig finally struck a gig in the field he loved, radio. The ‘72 Elder grad filled in for various talk show host when they went on vacations. The fill in work then led to something he has been working towards his entire life, his own sports talk show, The Monday Morning Quarterback. This program airs Mondays from 6-9am on Fox 1360. Next Monday, the 19th of November, Ludwig debuts “The Chick Ludwig Show” a sports talk show on WONE 980 from 3-6pm in the Dayton area.