Panthers find new weapon on defense

As the Panther defense closed out the game against LaSalle on Friday, you might have noticed a new player making an impact. Senior Jimmy White went in specifically to rush the passer and was quite successful. On the Lancers’ first down, Jimmy sacked the quarterback, and came within inches on the next two plays. Last Monday Jimmy was told he was going to become part of the defense as a designated pass rusher. “I really enjoy defense because it’s really fun hitting someone as hard as you can,” said Jimmy on his initial reaction to playing defense. Jimmy has been at Elder since sophomore year, and until now was only an offensive player. The prospect of Jimmy playing defense is exciting for Panther defensive leader Marc McGeorge. “It will be good for him to possibly be there if I flush a quarterback out of the pocket,” said Marc. Marc thinks Jimmy will bring more speed and discipline to the defense. Marc commented, “He adds a pass rush threat and a physical presence. He’ll hit people.” When Elder takes the field against Sycamore Saturday Jimmy could be an important factor on the defensive side of the ball. Sycamore is a run heavy team. If Jimmy proves he can be a difference maker, and the Panthers are fortunate enough to win, then Jimmy might make the difference in a deep post season run.