• September 5Check out our new Quill staff members for 2020-21; click Staff above

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

Panthers prepare for the playoffs

For the first time since 2009, the Elder football team will be a part of the post season. Elder has made leaps and bounds from a 2-8 season a year ago to hosting a playoff game this year. The theme for the team is redemption, and they have certainly exceeded expectations, but the work isn’t over yet. To truly bring glory back to Elder football, the team will have to make a deep postseason run. The 2012 Southwestern Ohio Division One Football playoff seeds: 1. Colerain 2. Springboro 3. Moeller 4. Elder High School 5. Sycamore 6. Huber Heights Wayne 7. Lakota East 8. St. X The Panthers bracket will be anything but easy. The bracket includes two other GCL teams. The Bombers who broke the heart of the Panthers the last week of September, and Moe who Elder narrowly beat the following week on a rainy night. Elder’s old playoff nemesis Colerain is back, and confidently sit with the number one seed. They are undefeated and also have impressive wins over St. X and Pickerington Central. The GMC has two other teams featured in region 4 with Lakota East, and Elder’s first round opponent Sycamore. Lakota East is coming in hot after beating rival Lakota West. They went 7 and 3 with losses to Mason, Sycamore, and Winton Woods. They could get an upset over undefeated Springboro. Sycamore is coming into the Pit hoping to end the dreams of the Panthers. The Aviators only feature one loss in a close game with undefeated Colerain. The Offense is the strong point at Sycamore. Their run heavy offense produces over 37 points a game. Elder has had an electrifying year with some memorable wins, but the post season will hold some challenge. ”Our bracket became more difficult when Moeller upset Trinity and took the three seed, but we can do it,” said team captain and offensive lineman Mike Schroer. Elder will play at seven o’clock in the Pit on Saturday. To vote for Max Mazza for WCPO player of the week, click this link: http://tristatefootball.com/player.asp ts