• September 5Check out our new Quill staff members for 2020-21; click Staff above

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

Defeat but not defeated

This past Friday night, September 7, Elder traveled to the Bluegrass state and faced one of the nation’s elite teams, Louisville Trinity. Trinity got off to a blazing start and took a quick 14-0 lead. Josh Moore and the Panthers responded as Joe Ramstetter caught a 12-yard touchdown pass. The phenomenon, James Quick, quickly answered as he caught a 48-yard deep pass to score and then another in the second quarter. Max Mazza scored within 15 seconds of halftime making it 35-14. Trinity had scored on all five of their drives in the first half. The second half, our defense came out after a motivating halftime speech by Coach Lancelotta and Coach James. They looked better than they did in the first half by stopping the Shamrocks on their first two drives. The Panthers were still within striking distance in the third when a Moore pass tipped oof the outstretched hands of Ramstetter on fourth and goal. Trinity responded with a 96 yard scoring drive. We held them for the most of the second half, except for that drive and a late field goal. Immediately after their long drive, Mazza juked several defenders as he took a mid-range Moore pass and scampered for a 40-yard TD. The final score of the game was 45-21, as the Trinity Rocks defeat our Elder Panthers. This coming Saturday the football Panthers go up against Lakewood St. Edwards. St. Eds is 3-0 as they blew out their first three opponents. The Panthers know how important this game is since this opponent is also in the national rankings. But this one’s at home. It’s a key game to getting back on the right track to a good season.