• September 5Check out our new Quill staff members for 2020-21; click Staff above

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

Spring into fishing

Jake Clark ‘12 Spring into Fishing It would hardly be an exaggeration to say that I was born with a fishing pole in my right hand. I developed my taste and skill for fishing from experience with my dad since I was very young. Throughout his entire childhood, my dad spent countless hours fishing with his brother. He has been fishing for so long that he knows more about fishing than any expert I have ever met or seen on T.V. Since my grandpa has lived in Aurora, Indiana for a long time now, my dad has discovered many great locations to fish around the area. Fishing has become a huge part of my life because I have learned how to have fun and at the same time, spend a lot of time with my dad. All this time with rod and reel has helped me become experienced and I would like to pass on my knowledge to others. Timing is critical to successful fishing because fish usually feed at certain times of the day and at certain times of the year. Typically, the best seasons for fishing are fall and spring. It is best to go out early in the morning when the sun just rises or late at night in order to have the most success. Fish are very picky and it can sometimes be very hard to get them to bite. Although it is possible to catch fish in the middle of the day, the chances are greater to catch fish at the times indicated above. Fish often won’t bite in the heat of the summer sun and it is nearly impossible to get a nibble while ice fishing around this area. It is widely believed that in order to catch a fish you just slap a worm on a hook and then throw the line in the water. It is actually not that easy. Different fish have different appetites and certain baits are better than others. Bass, for instance, are easiest to catch using minnows or lures that look like minnows (a rooster tail is a very effective lure to use in the spring time), while blue gill are easiest to catch by using wax worms. Surprisingly, catfish often bite at raw hamburger, which would never attract a bass or a blue gill to a hook. There are many great fishing spots in Indiana that are within good driving distance from Cincinnati, and in my opinion, are better than anywhere in Cincinnati. Laughery Creek, a roughly ninety mile long creek in Indiana that stretches from Ripley County to Dearborn County, is great for catching blue gill, crappie, and bass. The best areas of Laughery Creek for fishing are in currents or up against large logs or fallen trees. Besides Laughery Creek, there is another creek in Indiana called Hogan Creek that is fantastic. It is a tributary to the Ohio River and it is great for bass fishing. Not only are these two creeks great for game fishing, catfish also roam the waters and are susceptible to the baiting of patient fishermen. Spring has begun and the temperature is warm, so it is a perfect time to do some fishing. Head up to Bass Pro Shop and buy all of the necessities to make a successful fishing trip. Sometimes it can be difficult to get fish to bite right away and patience is important for fishing. Even if you go a whole day without a nibble from a fish, next time will probably entail more luck. With persistent effort and patience, fishing is bound to be successful. Good luck to anyone who decides to go fishing this year, and remember the point is to enjoy the time spent with nature and to have fun whether the fishing is good or not.