Filed under News

Nike’s brilliance raises sales

A new Nike advertisement features former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick. [Via MerlinFTP Drop]

Nike

Nike

The debut of Nike’s 30th “Just Do It” campaign featured former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick and sparked outrage and disbelief throughout the nation last week. Despite the initial backlash and boycotts surrounding this advertisement, the support for Nike has proved to be the greater force and their sales have risen dramatically since the ad’s release.

Nike’s advertisement features a black and white photo of Kaepernick’s face with the caption: “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.”

The controversy surrounding this ad stems from Kaepernick’s protests during the 2016 NFL season. Kaepernick protested police brutality and racial inequality in the United States by kneeling during the playing of the National Anthem. These protests were greeted with waves of support from his fellow NFL players, but his actions were seen as unpatriotic and disrespectful by an abundance of Americans.

The release of this ad was met with hundreds of videos of people foolishly burning their Nike shoes and Nike apparel. To anyone who burned his or her shoes in protest of Nike: you already bought the shoes.

Obviously, Kaepernick’s protests worked, and his actions reverberated throughout the NFL and have been a huge topic of debate nationwide over the past two years. You know what else worked? Nike’s decision to feature Colin Kaepernick as the face of their new campaign, that’s what.

Nike’s sales have risen dramatically over the past week, including a 31% increase in online sales compared to 2017 at this time. Also, despite an immediate drop in their stock, Nike’s stock has rebounded and is also up.

Personally, I think the ad itself is undeniably cool, and the message that it sends is awesome. Nike also released a two-minute commercial entitled “Dream Crazy” narrated by Kaepernick himself which is bound to send chills down your spine.

Jake Byrne '20, Staff Writer

Don't do they, do you. First year Quill member. Pineapple is for pizza. Say what you mean and mean what you say. #Bang