• September 5Check out our new Quill staff members for 2020-21; click Staff above

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

Bengals going ALL IN

Bengals White Bengal Uniform
Bengals “White Bengal” Uniform

After falling short to the Rams in the Super Bowl in 2021 and losing to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship in 2022, the Bengals are looking for revenge in 2023. This offseason, the Bengals were very active as they added some key defensive pieces and added more depth to the wide receiver, running back, and tackle position. They also acquired some young talent who will need to make an immediate impact. It is safe to say that the Bengals are going all in and coming for it all in the 2023 season.

Free Agency

A major focus for the Cincinnati Bengals this offseason was the offensive line. The Bengals do not usually spend a lot of money during free agency, but this year that was not the case as they signed Orlando Brown Jr. (LT) to a 4 year, $64,092,000 contract including a $31,100,000 signing bonus. This was a huge move for the Bengals this offseason as they needed a lot of help up front on the line.

Brown was ranked as the eighth best player in free agency this offseason. The Bengals also signed Cody Ford to be a backup tackle this offseason. After losing Hayden Hurst (TE), the Bengals needed to find someone to fill his role. The man for the job was Irv Smith Jr. (TE). In 2022 Smith Jr. had 34 targets with 25 receptions while also having 182 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns.

The Bengals also resigned two of their starting linebackers from last season as they resigned Logan Wilson and Germaine Pratt. The Bengals did lose a lot in their secondary and are going to need younger players step up. The Bengals lost Jessie Bates III (S), Von Bell (S), and Eli Apple (CB). These are very big losses for Cincinnati’s secondary and may come to be a problem this season. To fill in one of the safety spots Cincinnati signed Nick Scott (S). In 2022 Scott had 63 solo tackles, 19 assists, 2 forced fumbles, and 2 interceptions.

Cincinnati also signed Sydney Jones (CB) who will most likely come off the bench; in 2022 Sydney had 10 solo tackles and 2 assists. To help with the pass rush Cincinnati signed Tarell Basham (ED) and Tarell will most likely come off the bench as he had 0 solo tackles and 4 assists in 2022. Cincinnati also lost a key piece in their offensive in Samaje Perine (RB). In 2022 Perine was mostly used as a 3rd and short and goal line running back. Perine had 95 carries, 394 rushing yards, 2 rushing touchdowns, and averaged 4.1 yards per carry in 2022. Overall the Bengals were very productive during free agency.

Draft

The Bengals had an amazing draft this year. In the first round, with the 27th overall pick, the Bengals selected Myles Murphy a defensive end from Clemson University. At Clemson Murphy picked up 17.5 sacks in 38 games. Murphy will make an immediate impact on the defensive line as he is starting in their 3rd down package.

Defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo ,said, “The 6-foot-5, 268-pound Murphy can be lined up either on the inside or outside of the defensive line, which makes him a major asset.”

In the second round, the Bengals selected Dax Hill’s former teammate, DJ Turner, a cornerback from the University of Michigan. At the combine Turner ran a 4.26 40-yard dash and his speed will help him see the field early on. At Michigan, Turner acquired 20 PDs and three INTs while garnering two All-Big Ten recognitions. Turner will most likely not start week one, but he will definitely see the field early in the season.

In the third round with the 95th overall pick, the Bengals selected Jordan Battle, a safety from Alabama. Battle is currently a second string safety and was mostly drafted for depth; however, Battle might get playing time early on. With Jessie Bates leaving, Battle is his replacement and in my opinion was a good pick.

In the fourth round, the Bengals selected Charlie Jones, a wide receiver from Purdue. Jones was drafted for depth but is very versatile as he can play every receiver spot. Jones most likely got drafted to replace Tyler Boyd as he is on the last year on his contract. Jones is also in contention for the starting kick and punt returner spots.

In the fifth round the Bengals selected Chase Brown, a running back from Illinois. Brown will be Joe Mixon’s backup this year. At Illinois, Brown was a Doak Walker Award finalist at Illinois who rushed for 1,643 yards and 13 total touchdowns in 2022. Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said, “Brown is capable of making defenders miss and break off long runs”.

In the sixth round, the Bengals selected another backup receiver in Andrei Losivas and a punter in Brad Robbins. Brad will fill in Huber’s roll at punter. Punter was a big problem last year and hopeful Brad Robbins is the solution.

In the seventh round, the Bengals got a backup cornerback in DJ Ivey. At Miami, Ivey started 11 games last season and tallied two interceptions and a career-high seven pass deflections.

Bengals “White Bengal” Uniform

Overall, the Bengals had a very successful offseason. With a defensive heavy draft class and some new key players on Offensive, the Bengals are looking very good for this upcoming season. This year, the Bengals aren’t looking to win the division, they aren’t looking to win the conference, they are looking to win the whole thing. The Bengals are going all in in 2023.