• September 5Check out our new Quill staff members for 2020-21; click Staff above

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

Is the new NBA all star format truly new, or is it a blast from the past?

A deeper look into the newest change of the NBA
AFP/Getty Images
WASHINGTON, : Philadelphia 76ers’ guard Allen Iverson (C) stands among his fellow NBA All-Stars and holds his MVP trophy for his performance in the 2001 NBA All-Star Game 11 February 2001 at the MCI Center in Washington, DC. Iverson scored 25 points and rallied the Eastern Conference from a 21-point fourth-quarter deficit to a dramatic 111-110 victory over the favored Western Conference in the 50th annual NBA All-Star Game. AFP PHOTO/Mario TAMA (Photo credit should read MARIO TAMA/AFP/Getty Images)

The NBA All-Star game is an annual exhibition basketball game featuring some of the most talented players in the National Basketball Association. The first All-Star game was held in 1951, and since then, the game has become a highlight of the NBA season, attracting fans and players from around the world. For the past few seasons, 12 players have been chosen from the eastern and western conference, respectively, to go through a draft like process by two chosen captains.  This event is held every February and is a great way to see some of the finest basketball players from different teams playing together.

How to watch Team Giannis vs. Team LeBron and the 2020 NBA All-Star game without cable - CNET

Since 2018, the game has been in the select and draft format. For example, the 2020 All- Star game held in Chicago featured Giannis Antetokounmpo as the Eastern captain, and had LeBron James as Western captain. The two captains went back and forth drafting chosen all-stars from all around the league such as Luka Doncic and Kemba Walker. Additionally, each team is given extra reserve players that will come off the bench.

Before the recent All-Star game format was introduced in 2018, the game traditionally featured a match-up between the Eastern and Western Conferences. Since teams are divided based on their location, it provided fans with an opportunity to see the top players from opposite ends of the country go head-to-head. This format also allowed for some familiarity between players, as they were often playing alongside members of their own team.Allen Iverson Talks NBA All-Star Game & Reebok Question | Hypebeast

The East vs. West format created some memorable moments in the All-Star game over the years. Players like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James have all dominated the game, showcasing their talent in front of a global audience. Additionally, teams like the 2001 Western Conference squad, which featured the likes of Shaquille O’Neal, Allen Iverson and Tim Duncan, were able to put on a show for fans, making it one of the most memorable All-Star games ever played.

Past NBA All-Star game MVP’s
Past NBA All-Star game
Past NBA All-Star game

The past 10 All-Star MVP's

In recent years, the NBA All-Star game format has undergone a significant change, with a focus on increasing competition and engagement for players and fans alike. The new format, which features east all-stars vs. west all-stars, has been talked about for many months now and has finally been approved. Most fans are relieved that the the old ways are back. The NBA commissioner, Adam Silver, commented this on the change, “As the league celebrates basketball’s deep roots in the state of Indiana, the 73rd NBA All-Star Game will feature the return of both the classic matchup between the Eastern Conference and the Western Conference and the traditional scoring system with four 12-minute quarters.”

Why the NBA changed All-Star Game format from draft to East vs. West for 2023 | Sporting News

In conclusion, the NBA All-Star game has developed into an essential event not only in the basketball calendar but also in the wider American sports calendar. From the Eastern vs. Western Conference format to the drafted team format, the event has evolved significantly over the years, providing fans with a chance to marvel at the league’s best athletes as they showcase their incredible skills. As the league continues to develop and age, so too does the All-Star game, and it’s exciting to think about what changes and improvements will be made in the future. Nonetheless, regardless of the format, the NBA All-Star game remains a much-loved event that brings together fans, players, and the entire basketball community every year.