• September 5Check out our new Quill staff members for 2020-21; click Staff above

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

Inside scoop with Elder lacrosse

Lax looking to build on last years success.
David Neville
Lax looking to build on last year’s success.

On Tuesday February 13 I was able to go have a conversation with two senior captains on the Elder lacrosse team Max Stallmeyer and David Neville. David and I are good friends who have known each other since  all the way back in grade school. I was lucky enough when Max transferred to Elder during a freshman year and we became friends. My first question to them was how long you have played lacrosse.

Max Stallmeyer rushing down the field after winning a face off.

David said, “I was always really into baseball, but when I was in third grade my cousin Luke Limle introduced me to the game of lacrosse and ever since then it has been my pride and joy. I have played for multiple different travel teams and played a big part in me coming to Elder. My whole life I wanted to go to St. X, but all my friends and teammates were going to Elder which made me switch my choice for the better.”

David Neville adjusting his elbow guard after a timeout.

He continued, “I have played just as much as David considering we play on the same travel teams. My Dad was a big lacrosse guy and always encouraged me to play lacrosse and to play it at Elder, so freshman year made his wish my command and left Walnut Hills for the better opportunities at Elder.”

David and Max both had opposite seasons last year due to David being diagnosed with a hip disease and not being able to play the season at 100% and with Max having an absolutely nuts season breaking numerous records. I wanted to know what their team goals and personal goals would be for the 2024 senior season.

I asked Max, “Since you already hold so many records what else do you want to accomplish?”

“I never want to stop trying to break records so even though I have the face off record, I want to make it higher so no one can pass it up,” he said.

I then asked David what his goals were for this season. “My personal goal is to break thirty goals this season and then my team goal is for us to beat St. X,” he said.

I could not have agreed more with their answers, and it got me very excited for what this season has to bring. I was curious if they had any depth to the team this year and if they thought there would be any standout younger classmen.

David Neville leaving St.X players on the dust.

They both agreed on having many different strong places on the team such as passers, scorers, and people that can bring energy. They specific ally mentioned Caleb Helmes and Max Dugan.

“Caleb is very swift and fast while fitting into the offensive perfectly and Max Dugan is someone that can fly around the field and always be in the right place at the right time,” they said.

They are both confident and excited for the way their team is looking for their senior year and both had agreed on making it to state as their senior season goal and that something you love to hear from two of your captains.

“This is probably the last time we will ever be playing on the same team and maybe even lacrosse, so I plan to make every minute worth it and to make it to state,” Max said.

Max and David celebrating after a goal.