Filed under News

Kraft goes to the spa

Patriots owner Robert Kraft was recently arrested in a FBI sting in Jupiter, Florida.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kraft goes to the spa

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft yells to fans during their victory parade through downtown Boston, Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019, to celebrate their win over the Los Angeles Rams in Sunday's NFL Super Bowl 53 football game in Atlanta. The Patriots have won six Super Bowl championships. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

AP

AP

AP

Social media was set ablaze when news broke that New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft was arrested for two misdemeanor counts of soliciting prostitution after the FBI set up a sting on massage parlors in Jupiter, Florida.

Kraft has pleaded not guilty to two charges he is facing despite the FBI claiming to have him on video.  In fact, Kraft is building a legal “dream team” to try to help him beat the case. He has the top defense attorneys from the state of Florida defending him, and has told reporters that he is innocent and he expects this to be cleared up soon. Kraft will be going to trial, but he asked this be a non-jury trial; just in front of a judge.

Many people have come out against Kraft in this “women’s rights” era, but others have been quick to point out that Kraft has yet to be convicted of anything.  When media reporters stormed Kraft’s estate, his neighbor told media members that, “Robert Kraft isn’t a good man, he is a great man that has done so much for the New England area.  Even if Kraft is found guilty, it won’t affect my opinion of him.  We all make mistakes in life.”

Avid New England Patriots fan Tom Feldman told me, “I believe in due process and no matter what a person should have a fair trial. But if he is convicted, I would have no other choice but take the moral high ground and change my fandom to a different NFL team.”  He then went on to say, “I have always respected him for how he has done as an owner but this scandal is going to taint how I feel about him.”

For the record, Kraft is not looking at any more than one year in jail unless the prosecution can prove solicitation, but as of right now the counts are just misdemeanors.  Some believe the FBI are trying to prove this as a Sex Trafficking case and the charges will increase.

As for owning an NFL team goes, I highly doubt the NFL does anything to Mr. Kraft other than a fine.  The league also may not allow him to be to in attendance at the first couple games, but don’t expect Robert Kraft to sell the Patriots or anything drastic like that.

Dave Brown '19, Staff Writer

"Did we just become best friends?" - Brennan Huff