• September 5Check out our new Quill staff members for 2020-21; click Staff above

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

The Purple Quill

Trump trouble in Georgia

Was his arrest fair?
Former President Trump waving to a crowd of supporters

Former president Donald Trump was observed on several news outlets being booked into Fulton County jail last Thursday. Donald first appeared in court way back on August 3rd, and since then, he’s taken lots of fire from all directions. The former president could have been charged of much worse than he actually was, which was a lucky break for him. This break would essentially set the stage for what was to follow in his trial.

Trump was charged of illegally overturning the 2020 election in Georgia, something which he has denied ever doing several times. He was quoted saying during speaking to reporters, “If you challenge an election, you should be able to challenge an election.” (AP News) And honestly, he has a fair point, as challenging an election definitely is something you can legally do. However, he was eventually found guilty anyway and arrested.

Donald Trump’s mugshot

Another image that surfaced on the web Thursday night was the former president’s official mugshot. Many people on social media beforehand were posting fake mugshots of Donald Trump, making fun of the entire situation. He is the only president or former president to ever have his mugshot taken, although several have been arrested before. Not only this, but the former president has also raised over $7 million ever since the picture was taken and spread all over the country.

Shortly after his now famous and controversial mugshot was taken, he was released on a $200,000 bond that he paid off while in the Fulton County jail. Then the former president took his flight back home to New Jersey afterwards. Trump is eventually going to be arraigned during the week of September 5th. This was not the only time that Trump has been in jail trouble, as he was also arrested earlier in August on the charge that he tried to steal the 2020 election.

Some on social media believe that the former president should have never been charged of stealing the election, and that it was unfair to him and his supporters. There is a very wide variety of opinions on this subject of his arrest. Some believe it was fair, others not so much. “Taking a mugshot was not a comfortable feeling, especially when you’ve done nothing wrong” (Fox News) former president Trump said.