Esmail Wins Presidency: Meet the Student Council-Elect

Inside the 2024-25 Elder Student Council Election with exclusive interviews with the candidates.

President: Nate Esmail

Nate Esmail won the 2024-25 Elder Student Council Presidency against fellow candidates Toby Brubaker and Carlos Brogan. Nate plays football at Elder and is an active member of the Catholic Leaders of Elder. Nate said he ran for Elder Class President “to try and make small substantive changes to our school.” Nate does not want to make giant leaps in policy, but instead, he wants to implement minor changes, saying, “I believe we can make the school day better for teachers and students with little things.” The Quill was interested in what these changes could entail. Nate responded, “I am going to focus on creating a No Shave November and funnier pep rallies.” Nate closed the interview by stating, “I am very excited for this upcoming school year! Altiora!”

Vice President: Joey Matthews

Joey Matthews claimed the Elder Vice Presidency after a commanding win against Oliver Zuerick. Joey is a very involved member of clubs and activities around Elder. He is a member of ENN, having worked it “since before I even knew I was going to Elder. My older brother Robby had me come along and do camera work for lacrosse.” Joey is also involved in the band, National Honor Society, the Spanish Honor Society, and the Elder Student Ambassador Society. Joey originally intended to run for president: “I was aiming for president. After talking with Nate about what he wanted to do, I realized that it would be better if we ran together rather than against each other.” Joey was very appreciative of the votes, saying, “It really feels great to be nominated as the vice president. It lets me know that my fellow students believe that I have the potential to be a leader.” Joey ended the interview noting that he hopes he could accomplish a lot in the coming school year: Nate and I “plan on working closely together to make sure that we can properly implement our new ideas while effectively continuing past traditions.”

Treasurer: Toby Brubaker

Toby Brubaker came up ever so short in the presidential race, but he will still take an active role in next year’s student council, becoming Elder’s treasurer. Toby is one of the most active students at Elder, playing two sports: cross country and volleyball. Additionally, Toby is the vice president for the Student Ambassador Society, and he is in a plethora of Elder clubs such as Support the Troops, Ping Pong, Panthers For Life, Yearbook, and ENN. Toby’s involvement with student council did not happen by chance: “At a very young age, I’ve been told to get involved as much as possible when I get to Elder. While on student council, I’m not only involved; I also have a chance of making the school better and giving others and myself the best experience.” Toby hopes to spend the 2024–25 school year assisting the needs of the student body as well as his fellow council members. Toby concluded with a message for those who think they want to do more: “Although you will hear this a bazillion times while in high school, get involved. It is never too late to get involved. Make the most out of this once in a lifetime opportunity at Elder. Altiora.”

Secretary: John Merk

John Merk ran unopposed for Elder Student Council Secretary. John runs on the cross-country and distance track teams. John also is involved in the Elder Yearbook, Student Ambassador Society, Campus Ministry, Catholic Leaders of Elder, Support the Troops, and Honors Program. John said he joined student council “to contribute to the Elder community and help keep Elder great.” The Quill asked John what he hopes to accomplish as secretary. John responded, “I hope to do everything I can to make Elder better and keep it as great as it already is. If any students want to reach out with any suggestions or questions for student council, my email is [email protected]. Go Panthers! Altiora!”

Communications Officer: Ryan Conners

Ryan Conners ran unopposed for Elder Student Council Communications Officer. He is involved with Elder Track & Field and Support the Troops. Ryan ran for communications because he wanted to get involved, saying, “I haven’t done the best job at doing that. I saw an opportunity, and I ran for communications officer.” Ryan told The Quill that the announcements will stay simple next year with the prayer and pledge. He ended the interview by stating, “I am proud to be the communications officer and will serve the school the best way I can.”

Senior Class Co-President: Carlos Brogan

Carlos Brogan came up short in his bid for class president, but he will still take part in student council as senior class co-president. Carlos is a part of the Elder Swim Team and Band. Additionally, he broadcasts with ENN. The Quill asked Carlos why he decided to join the student council. Carlos responded, “I got myself involved with student council just to see what it was like, to see if it was fun, and to also test my luck at becoming the student council president.” Carlos told The Quill that he still has many ideas for Elder, such as “theme days, March Madness on the TVs during lunch, flex in the lunchroom with the Schaeper Center open for the seniors.” Carlos ended the interview by stating, “I may not be class president, but I still think I could make these things happen.”

Senior Class Co-President: Oliver Zureick

Oliver Zureick was handed a decisive loss in the vice president race, so he is next year’s senior class co-president alongside Carlos Brogan. Oliver claims he is a “three-sport varsity athlete, which is impressive.” Oliver is also “an extremely prominent member of the Elder Yearbook Club.” After a questionable ACT performance, Oliver is unshaken, saying, “In the academic portion of things, I’m up there with the best.” Despite this, Oliver seems to think he will play a pivotal role on student council: “Personally, vice president isn’t all that. Even though I was not elected, I still plan to take charge of the council. I’m the best leader on this council, and I know that as a fact. I’m the best here. As a co-president, I’m going to run it.” Clearly, Oliver has a grandiose vision of his future on student council. He concluded the interview by commenting, “I have always been involved with student council. Mr. Brubaker, Dr. Merk, and I are the only ones out of this board who were ever involved with it. I am throwing shade at the other members.”