How to succeed on Cupid’s day (without really trying)

Many people seem to have trouble finding the right gift for their significant other. All too often, it’s a last minute dash to the nearest jewelry store or flower shop for the same thing everybody else gets. This year, The Purple Quill has decided to help out its readers and make a few suggestions to ensure success on the day of love. We’re going to start with helping the guys, because that’s our main audience here (no offense, ladies and Tuttle).

Before we begin the actual list, get a card. It doesn’t matter what else you get her for Valentine’s Day, just get her a card too. They’re cheap and they make it look like you did more work than just going to Target and picking up the first pink thing you saw.

First off, you can never go wrong with the classic flowers and chocolate combo. Sounds simple, because it is. Not really a whole lot more to say about this one. Find out her favorite chocolate and favorite color, then get that chocolate and some roses in that color. Considering the average price for nice chocolate is around $7-8, and a nice bouquet goes for around $15, this one won’t break the bank or break any hearts.

Another option that won’t break you is a stuffed animal. This might seem weird, but trust me, this’ll go well. The hardest part is walking up to the checkout with this in your cart, but if you buy a nice card with it or some flowers, people will understand that it’s not for you. Something fluffy or cute will go a long way. You can find these things anywhere, from the corner furthest from the entrance of your nearest target to a local crane game (I wouldn’t rely on those, though. They’re more rigged than a slot machine in Vegas). Just pick something cute, I’m sure she’ll love it. If that’s too hard, ask your mom or sister for help.

Next up, you could try jewelry. Nothing much, like a bracelet or necklace with something nice inscribed on it. Most stores that carry jewelry that you can afford (Kohl’s, Macy’s, J.C. Penny) have heavy discounts on them around this time of year, so there’s not a whole lot of reason against picking up something nice for your sweetheart. For example, a nice necklace from big name brand Swarovski will cost you around $22 at Kohl’s.  An Unwritten bracelet at Macy’s runs around $30, but they’re worth the price to see the spark in your girl’s eyes when she opens it up.

If you want something a little more personalized, you could always go with earrings. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. They’re usually a little bit more on the expensive side (While they range from $10 to $400, most earrings are in the $60 range). However, the girl you give these to will probably wear them all the time. They can go with just about anything, and she’ll always be thankful for them.

Another good gift idea is a poem or song you wrote for her. This one is on the hard side of the spectrum, but there’s not a whole lot in this world that’s better than a handmade gift. You might want to make something personalized, something that reflects the time you have spent together. If you don’t have anything, or you run out of time, just use this one I conveniently already have written. I’ll even let you put your name on it if you use it this Valentine’s Day.

Valentine

I love you, more than you can ever know

More than even this poem can show

You’re my best friend and dream come true

I’d give the world if only to be with you

You are more beautiful than a golden flower

For whom my love grows every hour

You pick me up when I have fallen

Grant me access to your heart sullen

You inspire me to be my best

Living life, full of zest,

You are my greatest ally

Next to you, I can fly.

I’ll be yours and you’ll be mine

If you’ll be my Valentine.

Now that we’ve gotten the easy one out of the way, here’s what to get for guys this holiday.

The truth is, I don’t know. I don’t have personal experience with getting guys gifts for Valentine’s Day (despite what some of my critics may say), and the suggestions I got from my colleagues aren’t suitable for a student newspaper or any newspaper for that matter. It’s not really a guy holiday, that’s just how it is. My best guess is to get something that has personal value to both him and you. I mean, if this guy likes you, he’ll probably also like whatever you get him. Sorry this wasn’t much help, ladies, but I’m not omnipotent. I can’t know everything.

Valentine’s Day is coming sooner than you think. Cupid’s arrows will be firing off once again, and hopefully one will hit you, if it hasn’t already. If you’re with someone on Valentine’s day, I hope this list helped make it a success. If you’re alone on Valentine’s Day, just remember that candy is gonna be really cheap the next week.