Filed under Faculty Features

Señora Corey spices up Spanish

Elder has brought on many new faces throughout my four years here, and this year seems to have more than ever. We have new faces such as Physics teacher Mr. Horton, computer science teacher Mr. Hornsby and the interim substitute for Mrs. Martin, Mrs. Lanter. Last but not least is new Spanish teacher, Señora (that means Mrs. in Spanish) Corey.

With all the new faces, I want to focus on one of those teachers, and show you her journey to being a new member of the Elder family. This would be foreign language teacher, Señora Corey. Fun fact about Señora Corey is that she actually has a son who is a sophomore at Elder.

I caught up with Señora Corey a couple days back, and she had some exhilarating information for me regarding her past, how this year has gone, and what she expects in the future.

Señora Corey told me some interesting facts regarding her time leading up to coming to Elder, and it is very interesting.

I taught Spanish at Seton for nine years.  Before that, I taught in Grants Pass, Oregon and I began my teaching career as a English/Reading teacher in Houston, Texas.  I have now taught in an inner city school, a rural school (some students rode their horse to school), an all-girls school and now an all-boys school.  I have appreciated each one of these experiences for different reasons.  I am enjoying this new chapter of my career and am proud to be a part of the great Elder tradition.”

She continued, “I grew up on a tree farm in Michigan. During my senior year in high school, I was an exchange student in Mexico.  I moved to Texas after graduating from Western Michigan University with degrees in Journalism and Spanish. I have also lived in Alaska and Oregon.” 

When asked about her first year at Elder, Señora Corey seemed very excited and said, “My first year here at Elder has been great and has gone by quickly.” 

She continued, “I have been and am impressed by how quickly many of my students have picked up this secondary language of Spanish, and they have been fulfilling my expectations.” 

“I expect to continue to teach every day with enthusiasm, and to do my best to encourage my students to try to learn a second language,” said Corey.  “Knowing and learning Spanish has been a big part of my life and has done a lot for me, and I hope it will do the same for the men of Elder.” 

With all that being said, I think the Elder foreign language department will be in good hands for years to come. Señora Corey brings the energy to an often tedious subject, and continuously tries to make the most of every day in the classroom.   

Ben Farwick '18, Staff Writer
Miley Cyrus once said, “Nobody’s Perfect.” Then I looked in the mirror. Power Moves only. Live my life like a human victory cigar. My beak is rather dry. Alright Elder.