Tarantino’s ode to old Hollywood

Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is sure to be a hit.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tarantino’s ode to old Hollywood

Quentin Tarantino is one of the most renowned and well-known directors of all time.

His fame stems from cult classics like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, which are both considered by many to be two of the best movies ever made. Tarantino is known for controversy whether it be about the excessive violence in his movies or his use of the n-word, which are the main reasons his movies are met with such mixed reviews from audiences. Tarantino really is a very unique guy and one of the biggest film fanatics you’ll find. He was quoted as saying, “When people ask me if I went to film school I tell them, ‘no, I went to films.’” Tarantino has stated in the past that he is not a fan of the new streaming era of movies, and he thinks it takes the experience out of the film.

Quentin Tarantino showing his love for cinematography.

He has also been on record multiple times saying he is only making 10 movies in his career which he seemed to be sticking to after his most recent effort, The Hateful Eight. Currently, he’s working on his ninth movie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which is set to release in late July.

The script was in the works for four years and it was uncertain if the movie was going to be made, but after Leonardo DiCaprio heard the idea he took a 50% pay cut to be on board. Tarantino is infamous for having great ensemble casts in his movies, but this may be his most impressive one yet. The biggest names on this movie consist of Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Kurt Russell, Al Pacino, and many more regular Tarantino collaborators.

DiCaprio and Pitt are two of the biggest movie stars in the business and have never shared the screen together, so with Tarantino’s direction, it should be something special.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt on the Set of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

The movie is set in Hollywood in 1969, and is about a former Western star and his longtime stunt double struggling to find success in a Hollywood that they don’t recognize anymore.

The movie also will be touching on the murder of Sharon Tate and her friends carried out by the Manson family, which is sure to fulfill Tarantino’s quota of excessive violence. 1969 is a perfect time for this movie seeing as this was a time when new writers, directors, and storytellers took over, which Tarantino is paying homage to as he sadly sees that generation fade away.

With this new generation of streaming services, this will be a lot of people’s first look into what Hollywood used to be like. I think with the cast, direction, and setting this has the potential to be one of the best movies of all time as Tarantino’s final ode to Old Hollywood.

Jack Burgasser '19, Staff Writer

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity...