Elder tops Springboro

Elder tops Springboro

The ‘Pit’ is no stranger to high school football teams across the tri-state. It has been regarded as one of the toughest atmospheres to play in for Friday night lights. The Springboro Panthers deemed this to be true on the first of September.

The Elder Panthers and Springboro Panthers faced off last year when Elder was victorious in a 21-20 nail-biting contest. This year, however, was much different.

Springboro’s offense started the game from their own 20-yard line.

Max Stallmeyer’s interception

On the second play of the game George Guidugli tipped Jacob Davis’ pass and it was intercepted by senior Max Stallmeyer to set up a first and 10 on Springboro’s 31 yard line.

Senior quarterback Ryan Brass took a 12 yard QB draw to the house to put Elder up early. Joey Roth with the PAT and Elder leads  7-0.

Ryan Brass takes a 12 yard QB option to the house

Springboro’s offense struggled early and punted. Elder stormed down the field led by a Ryan Brass 32 yard run and a Josh Mirus 10 yard reception. Brass tallied another six with a one yard run. Joey Roth’s PAT put Elder up 14-0 with a minute of the first quarter to left to play.

Springboro responded on their next drive making solid progress led by a Willizhau Yates 13-yard reception. Yet, on fourth and one, Jacob Davis found the wrong Panther, Elder’s Tyler Beckenhaupt, for Davis’ second interception of the game.

Tyler Beckenhaupt celebrates with Maddox Arnold after his interception

Elder battled penalties and was forced to put on a fourth and 20, and Springboro found themselves with great field position, looking to scratch their first points across the board. With the ball on their own 37, a Willizhaun Yates 15-yard reception put them inside the 25. However, four plays later, Jacob Davis chucked his third interception of the game.

Brass continued to help Elder’s offense storming 41 yards to a first and 10 at their own 46 where he connected with Drew Murphy for a 40 yard reception putting them on the 6-yard line. A play later, Joey Thamann found the endzone for his first career touchdown putting Elder up 21-0 at the half.

Joey Thamann scores

Elder opened up the second half on their own 20 yard line. Their drive came to a halt after an incomplete pass on third and 6. Both teams exchanged punts and Elder had the ball back.

After a drive that took up the last 6 minutes of the third period, Joshua Dugan, Elders starting linebacker, opened the fourth quarter with his first career touchdown making it 28-0

Josh Dugan lines up for the direct snap right before he scores

Springboro could not get anything going and punted the ball and so did Elder. Springboro, with the ball back, went for it on fourth and 2, when quarterback Austin Newdigate found the endzone on 35 yard quarterback keeper.

Time expired and Elder improved to 2-1, while Springboro still hasn’t scratched the win column. Next week Springboro faces off with the 2-1 Beavercreek Beavers. Elder is set to play St. Edward Eagles on Saturday, a well anticipated matchup for both teams.