The definitive ranking of every ‘Rocky’ and ‘Creed’ movie

Objectively breaking down and ranking the greatest boxing franchise in the history of cinema.

In a world where boxing legends live forever, the recent passing of Carl Weathers has left an indelible mark on the hearts of Rocky fans. As people mourn the loss of the actor who brought Apollo Creed to life, it is only fitting to remember the Rocky franchise, for they are the films that immortalize him. From the jaw-clenching action to the gripping narratives that transcend the sport, these films still resonate with all generations, so let’s see what makes them so incredible.

Wikipedia defines the franchise best: “Rocky is an American sports drama multimedia franchise created by Sylvester Stallone, based on the life of Chuck Wepner, which began with the eponymous 1976 film and has since become a cultural phenomenon, centered on the boxing careers of Rocky Balboa and his protégé Adonis Creed.”

Now that the Rocky franchise is defined, what are the criteria for the rankings? Rocky movies should all contain three essential components. Rule 1: a good movie. Rocky films foremost need to be good movies with classic movie elements such as good cinematography, music, editing, themes, pacing, acting, etc. Rule 2: a kick-ass fight scene. Rocky movies are boxing movies, so there should be an intense and generally awesome fight scene at the end. Rule 3: a compelling love story. Rocky movies are love stories with boxing. Carl Weathers summarized it best: “It’s a love story. Not only is it a love story in the traditional sense in the romance with the woman, it’s a love story between those two men.”

9. Rocky V
Is it a surprise? Widely considered the worst Rocky movie, Rocky V falls short in almost every category. Probably the most underdog story of the franchise, this movie is poorly paced and doesn’t have a compelling narrative. This movie attempted to bring back the charm of previous films in a phony and obvious way. There is no good fight scene, and Tommy (Tommy Morrison) mentoring could be a better love narrative if you can even call it that. Rocky V is clearly “[t]he undisputed worst movie of the Rocky franchise” (Jeffrey M. Anderson, Combustible Celluloid)

8. Creed II
Is this a controversial pick? Yes. Creed II is a fun flick with a premise that shouldn’t work, yet it does. This movie is “essentially a remake of Rocky IV” (Josh Larsen, LarsenOnFilm). It starts slow, but the film picks up the pace and has a killer ending action sequence. The issues for the movie lie in the fact that Adonis Creed’s (Michael B. Jordan) story could be more compelling. It’s predictable and tedious, especially when contrasted with the exciting relationship between Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) and his son. The more Adonis and Rocky the film shows, the less interested I am, which could be better, for they are the main characters.

7. Rocky IV
It’s every 8-year-old’s favorite Rocky film. Rocky IV is a movie scorned by critics and loved by fans. The truth of this film is that it lies somewhere in between. Like Creed II, Rocky IV starts a little slow after the death of Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers). Still, it picks up the pace as Rocky has one of the best training montages ever, in a remote cabin in Krasnogourbinsk, and arguably the best Rocky fight against Ivan Drago. Although, there are issues. The death of Apollo doesn’t hit Rocky and the viewer as hard as it should. This movie lacks a love or relationship element that builds character. Rocky IV tends to be “[b]ombastic, exaggerated and one-third musical montage” (Fico Cangiano, CineXpress Podcast). This is a turn your brain off and enjoy kind of watch.

6. Creed III
Should Creed III be higher? Maybe, but there are so many strong films ahead. Creed III checks all the boxes. It is well-directed and written. It sets up a compelling clash between Adonis Creed and Damien Anderson (Jonathon Majors), who are both shredded and putting on nuanced performances. Like all the Creed movies, the fight scenes are well-shot and awesome, but there are some issues. The emotional moments feel rushed and don’t hit in the way they should. This story needs to be faster, with seemingly obligatory training montages sprinkled in and insufficient time spent on characters. Still, Majors and B. Jordan carry this story to the point where it becomes less of an issue.

5. Rocky III
This movie shows the thrill of the fight. Rocky III is arguably the best-shot Rocky film. Rocky Balboa grows a lot in this film: he finds peace with his weaknesses, develops a relationship with his longtime rival Apollo Creed, and faces the biggest bad yet in the very scary Clubber Lang (Mr. T). Does this film change the game in terms of formula? No. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Also, no. Rocky III is a fun flick with good character work, intertwined relationships, thrilling boxing sequences, and the best Rocky song, “Eye of the Tiger.” Jeffrey M. Anderson of Combustible Celluloid summarizes best: “Sylvester Stallone keeps things going effectively, expanding on the familiar characters and hitting all the right beats.”

4. Rocky Balboa
It’s the most underrated Rocky movie. Rocky Balboa is a poignant film about grief, relationships, and redemption after the loss of his wife, Adrian. Rocky hopes to return to the days of old, entering low-level fights, but that changes when Rocky accepts a fight against heavyweight champion Mason Dixon (Antonio Tarver). The main dig on this film is that it “spends too much time in idle and not enough in overdrive” (Matt Brennen, Film Frenzy), but this misses the point. Rocky Balboa isn’t trying to be a pumped-up boxing action movie; it is a drama that explores Rocky’s relationships with Adrian, Rocky Jr., Marie, and Paulie. Does this film border on melodramatic? Probably, but as a Rocky fan, this hits you right in the gut. Burt Young and Stallone are putting on the best performances of their careers. Rocky Balboa doesn’t fall back on the past but uses the past as a subject of pain in the present. This film is so good it feels like a drama piece that happens to contain Rocky Balboa.

3. Rocky II
A continuation of the first Rocky, Rocky II is a movie that again has you rooting for the underdog. This sequel takes the first movie and builds in every direction. Apollo Creed goes from a cocky antagonist to an insecure one. Adrian goes from Rocky’s side love interest to the forefront of the story. While the other Rocky sequels try to recapture the magic of the first, Rocky II tries to avoid reinventing the character but advances Rocky’s chemistry with Adrian and Creed. This film has one of the best ending action sequences of any sports movie ever and works to sell the previous narrative. Rocky II is almost a required watch after Rocky, providing a very satisfying conclusion.

2. Creed
Creed is a perfect film. This reboot introduces a new character, the illegitimate son of Apollo Creed, Adonis Creed, and brings something new to the Rocky franchise. Not only is Creed incredibly shot, but the fight scenes against Ricky Conlan (Tony Bellew) are the cleanest boxing fight scenes ever put on film. This great underdog entry poignantly brings back Rocky’s mourning of Adrian and Apollo. It effectively introduces Adonis’ relationship with Bianca (Tessa Thompson), the burden of the Creed name, and the anger at Apollo for abandoning him. Stallone convincingly steps in as a father figure for Jordan’s Creed, and their relationship becomes complex and emotional. Director Ryan Coogler starts very strong with Creed by “bring[ing] everything that we expect from a Rocky movie but [making] it feel fresh and authentic.” (Daniel Howat, Next Best Picture)

1. Rocky
Ignore the critics; Rocky is undeniably one of the greatest movies ever. It is a film where a small-time boxer from Philadelphia is chosen to take on the reigning world heavyweight champion, Apollo Creed. He trains with former bantamweight contender Mickey Goldmill (Burgess Meredith), and Rocky begins a relationship with Adrian (Talia Shire), the introverted sister of his best friend Paulie (Burt Young).
Rocky is a complex film that holds up on multiple watches. Rocky stands out in its raw portrayal of human emotions and struggles. The character of Rocky Balboa, brilliantly portrayed by Sylvester Stallone, illustrates resilience, determination, and the stubborn spirit of the underdog. The film beautifully captures the essence of the human experience. Rocky Balboa is a man with no prospects, no future, and minimal intelligence, yet when given the chance to prove that he is worth even a little bit of something, he gives his all.
Round 14 of the final fight in Rocky exemplifies this; Apollo Creed turns around and puts his arms in the air. He turns his back to Rocky, assuming he’s down for good. Everybody in the crowd, including Rocky’s coach, Mickey, says stay down. Rocky still starts climbing the ropes to get back up. Rocky is destroyed and has nothing left, yet he finds something left. He found something profound inside his soul to keep going. The look on Apollo Creed’s face when he sees that he hasn’t won the fight is soul-crushing. This moment serves as the greatest climax to any film ever. Rocky didn’t win, yet he proved he was more than just some bum.
Additionally, Rocky is one of the greatest love movies of all time, with my favorite romance line ever: “She’s got gaps. I got gaps. Together, we fill gaps.” At its core, the film is a love story between Rocky Balboa and Adrian, a shy pet store clerk who becomes the beacon of light in Rocky’s life. Their relationship blossoms amidst Rocky’s gritty life in Philadelphia, showcasing the power of love to alleviate personal struggles. The tender moments shared between Rocky and Adrian, filled with nervousness and unwavering support, elevate the film beyond the boxing ring. Rocky captures love as a transformative force that gives meaning and purpose to life.
While some detractors of Rocky will say that this film is “achingly familiar” (Richard Schickel, Time Magazine) in its narrative arc, precisely this predictability adds to the film’s charm and appeal. The story of an underdog boxer getting a shot at the heavyweight title is a classic cinema trope, but what sets Rocky apart is the way it subverts expectations and goes deeper into the complexities of its characters. The film is not just about the outcome of the boxing match but also about the inner journey of Rocky Balboa as he proves he is something by going the distance and getting the girl.