More than just a game

The Super Bowl has many perks to go along with the game.

Each year, millions and millions of people gather together to watch and celebrate the Super Bowl, the biggest football game and social event of the year.

While much focus is on the game this year between the Panthers and Broncos, there are many more side attractions, and perks to this amazing American event.

The first is great food. Different parties will have different setups, from home cooked recipes, to ordering some pizza, or grilling out. The Super Bowl brings a variety of things to enjoy and satisfy your appetite on game day. To go along with the great food, soft-drinks and beer are sold at a year high. This is possibly partly due to great commercials that are only found during the game. Coke, Bud-Light, Budweiser, Doritos, and many car commercials are just a few of the many commercials worth watching to get a laugh during the game.

Throughout Super Bowl 50, another major side attraction was gambling. Millions of people each year take part in Super Bowl blocks. These spreadsheets made up of over 100 squares each make up a great way for a fundraiser, or just as a family friendly competition.

Another unique gambling idea is the 21 point game, where you pick three players in the game that could score without going over 21 points. Prop bets are also a fun way to enjoy the game, this year a list of 250 prop bets can be found online, from how long Lady Gaga sang the National Anthem, to what commercial will be shown immediately after the coin toss.

NME news at http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/91310

All of this can also be summed up by the halftime show as well. While this year’s halftime show, featuring Coldplay, Beyonce, and Bruno Mars received some criticism, it could have been worse. In years past many stars have taken the stage at halftime of the Super Bowl sponsored by Pepsi. Past performances have been made by Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, The Who, Paul McCartney, Justin Timberlake and many more. The Super Bowl is a very iconic event in the American society, as well as the world. It has become more then just a game, it is an American holiday.

Cole Carle '17, Co-Editor in Chief

This is my second full year on The Quill. I am a Senior, who plays football and hockey. I enjoy writing about sports and things related to Elder. I am...