Jack Wertz will tee it up at Xavier

Jack Wertz looks to have a successful golf career at Xavier University.

Jack poses after a 1st place finish.

Provided by Jack Wertz

Jack poses after a 1st place finish.

Junior golfer Jack Wertz took to twitter to announce his commitment to play golf for Xavier University. Jack has been a golfer for Elder High School for three years now and all of those years he has been on the Varsity team. During his sophomore year at Elder, he qualified for the State tournament. This past seaason Jack broke the record for the lowest individual average for a season averaging a remarkable 37.1. He also medaled 21 times during his junior year.

“It means everything to me. It is amazing to see all the hard work pay off,” said Jack after being asked how much it means to him to play golf for Xavier. “Their coach had so much belief in me throughout the entire process so it was just great to land there. Also, it was nice to see some of the present and past players reach out to me to try and get me to join Xavier Golf. I couldn’t have thought of a better place to be,” added Jack.

Provided by Jack Wertz
Jack Wertz stares down a drive.

I asked Jack what might his goals be while playing at Xavier and he responded that he really wants to play right away as a freshman. He wants to improve his scoring average each year at Xavier and I think he will be able to do that seeing that he has improved each year in high school so far. Jack also wants to help Xavier win a Big East Championship while he is there and also wants to qualify for NCAA’s. Jack is also looking to be a leader for the team and help get the team inside the top 70 mark.

Although college golf is far away for him, Jack gave me some of his goals that he is working on for the upcoming season. Jack is looking to hopefully win two GolfWeek’s Tournaments and also the Ohio Junior Tournament during the summertime. He also wants to qualify for the US Junior, which is the biggest junior golf tournament. During the school season Jack is looking to win a team and individual state championship for the Elder golf program. He also wants to surpass his single season Elder scoring record average.

Matthew Robben is the head coach for the Elder Golf team and he had all great things to say about Jack. “I’m happy for Jack, as he’s able to earn a scholarship to a big time program with great facilities, all while staying close to his family and friends,” said Robben. “I do think he will fit in well there; I know their coach is relatively new, and I think Jack will be the type of player that will only continue to get better and will be a cornerstone to build around,” added Robben. “I think with the pressure of impressing college coaches behind him, Jack will be able to play loose and free and be more relaxed on the course this season.”  Robben said, “I hope Jack continues to work hard both on the course and in the classroom, and achieves every goal he sets for himself throughout his career.” 

Provided by Jack Wertz
Jack hitting his shot in the fairway.

Jack cannot wait for the 2019 season with Xavier. “I feel like I will fit in well at Xavier. It is a small school which I think is perfect for myself to grow, not only as a golfer but as a student too,” said Jack. “I have already been interacting with my future teammates so my relationships with them will be great when I get there.” 

With any athlete at a young age with great talent they are looking to get to that next level and Jack hopes that that could be him one day. “I see myself playing golf after college at the next level. It is a long way away, but I want to play this game competitively,” Jack said. I do believe that Jack has the talent and determination to live his dream. “I know I have a long way to go, but the belief that I have in myself will not stop me from chasing my dream.” Jack added. Jack is a young man who I believe will make great things happen for him. He has the grit and mind set in what he can do with his talents in golf. He is someone to keep your eye on in the next few years.