Filed under Sports

Will firing Price make a difference?

The record is not much better after the change.

Fans in Cincinnati have been getting a little impatient lately with their beloved Reds. The Reds are off to a horrific start, which often leads to questioning of the coaching staff.

It was announced on April 19th that Bryan Price would not be managing another game for the Reds. At the time, the Reds record was 3-15. One of the main reasons for 15 losses was the pitching staff. Pitching coach Mack Jenkins was also relieved of his coaching duties.

The Reds promoted bench coach Jim Riggleman to be the interim skipper of the team and hired AAA Louisville’s manager to be the pitching coach. Price would finish his Reds managerial career with a record of 279-397, after taking Dusty Baker’s spot after the 2013 season.

Photo taken from MLB.com
Price lasted 4 years as the manager of the Reds

Since the coaching changes, the Reds have gone 5-11. This leads me to one important question that people need to think about. Did firing Price really make a difference in this team?

My initial thoughts were no. This pitching staff has been consistently young and inexperienced. Price had to deal with many injuries on the staff throughout his time in Cincinnati. Anthony Desclafani hasn’t really pitched in two years.

Right before spring training in 2014, Bailey signed a six year, $105 million dollar contract. Since the 2014 season, he has only started 56 games, with a 6.79 era. This guy was supposed to be the ace of the rotation.

Price has always had to deal with young players, especially pitchers. In the last two years, the Reds hold the MLB record with 33 players making their debuts. Many of those are pitchers trying to find a spot in the rotation. This year the Reds have Castillo, Romano, Finnegan, and Mahle as the young kids in the rotation.

Many of their issues pitching have been command and inability to go deep in games. Romano and Mahle have shown the best stuff from the rotation but struggle trying to go beyond the fifth and sixth inning. But the Reds also have a talented pitcher in the bullpen, Amir Garrett, who may take one of those starting spots.

During the 3-15 start, the hitting was nothing to brag about. Not a whole lot of players were having any spark at the plate. First baseman Joey Votto and Adam Duvall got off to a terrible start, after putting up big numbers in 2017.

But there is a different side to every story. This change in coaching could make a difference. For example, it brings fresh faces to the clubhouse. The new coaches may have a different way of teaching the game, and it could also boost a spark for the team.

Photo taken from espn.com
Riggleman looks to bring the Reds back to over .500

The Reds have shown to be little bit better since the coaching changes. The team has shown lots of fight when they are losing and always seem to be giving it their best.

I think the Reds have a good young nucleus too work with. In my opinion, Bryan Price was not the manager to be with that young nucleus. But neither is Jim Riggleman. The Reds said publicly that they would “conduct a further managerial search” toward the end of the year.

At the end of the day, this mess the Reds are in was not Bryan Price’s fault. Price was never really given a team where there was not injuries or that could compete for a division. However, it looks like there may be another manager in Cincinnati at the end of the year.