Top candidates to win the 2019 Heisman

Top candidates to win the 2019 Heisman

The Heisman Trophy is an award that is given to the best and most electrifying college football player in the country. The voting for the award comes from 929 selected people across the country. The award has been handed out a total of 84 times since its creation in 1935.

Only one collegiate player has won the award twice and that was Ohio State’s very own Archie Griffin in 1974 and 1975. This college football season, there are some electrifying players in the nation. Some who can win the award outright, or can make it a good race for the award. According to Bleacher Report, the top candidates to win the award for the 2019 season are Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tagovolia, Sam Ehlinger, and Jonathan Taylor.

4. Trevor Lawrence

Trevor Lawrence throwing a strike to his receiver

Trevor Lawrence is going into his sophomore season with a career where he won the National Championship without losing a game in his freshman season. Standing at 6′-6″, Lawrence is easily one of the top candidates to win the award. Lawrence was ranked the top high school player in the class of 2018. With the clear offensive power from the Tigers last year, their offense should have the same talents again “Certainty, their offense firepower is amazing,” Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said. It would almost be an upset if Lawrence didn’t have a Heisman in him, and his freshman season really couldn’t have gone any better. With all the immense ability around him in the Tigers’ talented youngsters, they’ll all grow together. Lawrence will benefit from Dabo Swinney’s recruiting ability, and he’ll be the guy who makes it all tick. It’s not out of the realm of possibility he puts everything together in ’19 and wins the Heisman Trophy.

3. Jonathan Taylor

Jonathan Taylor has been one of the best Running backs in college football for the past couple of seasons. Last season, Taylor was awarded with the Doak Walker award, which is given to the nation’s top running back. With 3,966 career rushing yards, Taylor has more than

Jonathan Taylor taking the hand-off from Quarterback Alex Hornibrook

any other FBS player through his sophomore year. He shattered 1999 Heisman Trophy winner and Wisconsin alum Ron Dayne’s record of 3,566. “I think I’ve gotten better from last year, especially as far as patience and letting blocks develop,” Taylor told the Wisconsin State Journal‘s Jason Galloway. “Sometimes I could be a little quick last year and just take off and not really let them develop. So, I feel like I’ve slowed it down a bit this year and improved in that area.” This year he’ll get the national attention it takes to win the Heisman. He may bring it home for the running backs once again.

2. Sam Ehlinger

Sam Ehlinger celebrating after throwing a touchdown

Sam Ehlinger wasn’t even the guaranteed full-time starter heading into his second season in Austin, but he eclipsed Shane Buechele’s shadow and wound up not only starting but starring for the Longhorns. When Texas fell just short of beating Oklahoma for the second time, as the Sooners won the conference title, Ehlinger didn’t pout. Instead, he issued a very Tim Tebow-esque proclamation, “I will make it my mission to never let this team or this school feel this disappointment again,” Ehlinger said. Ehlinger is a do-it-all player who can beat teams with his arm and his feet. With Herman calling plays, it’s only going to get better for the ‘Horns as they continue to improve their arsenal of offensive weapons. If they rule the conference, it’ll be because of Ehlinger’s leadership and ability. The Heisman may wear burnt orange again.

1. Tua Tagovailoa

Tua celebrating after wining the SEC Championship

Tua Tagovailoa started his collegiate career by replacing Jalen Hurts in the National championship game in the second half to comeback and beat Georgia to win the 2018 National Championship. Last year, Tua Tagovailoa may have fallen just shy of winning the Heisman Trophy as a sophomore at Alabama, but there is no reason to believe he won’t be right in the thick of the race again in 2019. Late in the year, however, he battled injuries that kept him from finishing some games, and as the Tide came back to beat Georgia in the SEC Championship Game, Tagovailoa stood on the sideline as backup (and former starter) Jalen Hurts was the hero. That may have been the game that sealed his fate as the runner-up. He had to return to Tuscaloosa at least one more season, and 2019 looks like it could be his year to win college football’s top individual honor if he can remain healthy and keep maturing.  It could be another big year at the Capstone.