Elder Art Wins Big

16 Scholastic Art awards given to 13 Elder Students

(left to right) Ryan Anneken ’17 “Ellie Goulding”
Jordan Jacob- 15 “Life is Ruff”
Michael Rosen- ’17 “Text in Text”
Danny Theders- ’16 “Party in the Tree”

(left to right) Ryan Anneken ’17 “Ellie Goulding” Jordan Jacob- 15 “Life is Ruff” Michael Rosen- ’17 “Text in Text” Danny Theders- ’16 “Party in the Tree”

16 Scholastic Art Awards were given to 13 different students of Elder High School for their exceptional artistic talent displayed through paintings, sculptures, drawings, and mixed media. The “Gold” awards were given to freshman Ryan Anneken for his drawing “Ellie Goulding”, junior Jordan Jacob for his digital rendition, “Life is Ruff”, freshman Michael Rosen for his mixed media titled, “Text in Text”, and sophomore Danny Theders for his mixed media project, “Party in the Tree”.

More information regarding the Scholastic Art awards was obtained by Elder’s art teacher, Mr. Dave Buetsche .

“For these awards, students submit their own work, which make the awards unique compared to many other awards offered by teacher recommendation. “

There are three levels of awards that you have the potential of receiving when you submit your artwork.

“(Students) are awarded with “keys”, gold, silver, and honorable mention,” said Mr. Buetsche. “Students who are awarded the gold key can make it to the national level.”

The potential for the artwork at Elder to become even better is very great, as the majority of the awards were given to members of Elder’s freshman class.

“It’s great to see guys coming in with that level of talent and being able to show it,” said Mr. Buetsche.

Despite being “overshadowed” by their younger counterparts in the Scholastic awards, great improvement from their blossoming freshmen days has been shown throughout the years.

“All of the upperclassmen have improved a lot since they started, but two that have really improved are P.J. Doll and Julian Gregory,” Mr. Buetsche said when asked who he thinks has improved the most since their freshmen year.

The level of growth and improvement shown in the students can be very rewarding to witness whether you are a student, teacher, or parent of an art student. As they grow as a person, so do their artwork and the ideas in which they base them on. The vagueness of art makes it very exponential. Elder art students strive to create a perfect creation of their thoughts, but no matter how good the piece may look, it will always be flawed in critics’ eyes, which is what makes art so beautiful and advanced.

Gold Key Winners:

Ryan Anneken  ‘17 Drawing “Ellie Goulding”

Jordan Jacob  ‘15 Digital Art “Life Is Ruff”

Michael  Rosen  ‘17 Mixed Media “Text In Text”

Danny Theders  ‘16 Mixed Media “Party In The Tree”

SILVER KEY WINNERS:

Ryan Anneken  ‘17 Drawing “Flowing Fingers”

Julian Gregory ’15 Sculpture “Nostalgia”

Franky Morena ’17 Mixed Media “Nky”

Patrick O’Conner   ‘16 Mixed Media “Pickup Sticks”

Silver Key Winners

Franky Morena ’17 Mixed Media “Nky”

Honorable Mention Winners:

Patrick Doll  ‘14  Painting “Corrupt Smoke “

Julian Gregory  ‘15 Sculpture “The Raven”

Connor Lane  ‘17 Mixed Media “Mountain Climbing”

Alex Mastruserio  ‘16 Printmaking “Comrade Stalin”

Ben Merk ‘15  Painting “The Fisherman”

Sam Middendorf  ‘16 Printmaking “Floral Execution”

Ryne Poli  ‘15  Painting “The Henge”

Michael Rosen  ‘17 Sculpture “Modern Plague Mask”