Twitter wars draw attention

Twitter is form of social media where people of all ages can follow their favorite celebrities, professional athletes, and even their own friends.

Twitter is a website where you can post or “tweet” various things or activities you encounter throughout your day. When you tweet something, someone can favorite or retweet what you have tweeted, which usually is something they themselves can relate to as well as you.

Some individuals take twitter to the next level and use it as a platform to harm or intentionally try to verbally abuse another person. There is always a lot of drama that is the result of using a twitter and there really isn’t anything you can do to change it or stop it.

But when famous celebrities and athletes start using it harm others verbally, millions of people are immediately aware and are free to see it.

For example, about a month ago Amber Rose made some comments on national television about Khloe’s younger half-sister, Kylie Jenner, for dating the rapper known as Tyga.

Khloe, in retaliation tweeted, “‘I was a stripper when I was 15 years old,’ Amber Rose told Foxx. Please don’t worry about my sister who has a career and her s*** together at ONLY 17” later adding, “People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Please stop talking about us in interviews mama. None of us talk about you.”

Amber Rose obviously had something else to say as she came back with a harsh comment about how she may be a stripper just like Kim Kardashian (Khloe’s older sister) is as well. This conversation went on for about a day, both throwing harsh insults each other’s way.

Another more recent twitter feud involved ESPN 2’s show “Olbermann” host Keith Olbermann and some Penn State students about fundraising for pediatric cancer. Olbermann’s show was suspended a week for his harsh comments about students raising over 13 million dollars for pediatric cancer. His exact words were “pitiful” and then he started making some incredibly rude comments to the students themselves as if he were superior to them. He poked fun at their education, appearance, and everything in between.

Olbermann really made himself look like a complete jerk on twitter for the whole world to see, and it really came back to haunt him when ESPN took notice and suspended his show for a week. He later tweeted an apology saying, “I apologize for the PSU tweets. I was stupid and childish and way less mature than the students there who did such a great fundraising job.” Olbermann really did himself wrong this time, as he is known for being very harsh on players and is very high on himself to begin with. Hopefully, this was a lesson to us all that whatever we say that is hurtful and people take offense to on social media will come back and haunt us as it did Keith Olbermann.

Many high school students say things they later regret on social media while others try to keep everything they say private and don’t say things that can be misinterpreted.

Some students even go the distance to stay away from social media to begin with but that is very hard to do in this day and age. Junior Brian Smedley likes to keep it on the low end of things, “I am private on twitter and I don’t tweet very much.”

When asked why, Smedley told me it was just unnecessary. Whatever you choose to do on social media, make sure you won’t regret what you said someday and be smart on your decisions on social media.