Filed under Showcase, Sports

Johnny Manziel “Comeback SZN”

Johnny Football…the beloved Heisman Trophy winner and Texas A&M all-star is on a journey back to his beloved game of football. Manziel, chosen in the 2014 NFL draft, was a wild and risky pick by the Cleveland Browns. The Browns picked Manziel due to his amazing talents, but along with those talents came a price.

Manziel, in his short career in the NFL, abused his wealth and fame with drugs and alcohol. He resorted to a life of partying and put his career on the back burner, leading to suspensions and eventually he was out of a job.

After taking time to reflect on his mistakes, he came to the conclusion that football is what he loves and that he won’t give up on his dream. This is when his “Comeback SZN” campaign began.

Recently, during his Good Morning America interview, Manziel explained the reasons behind his fall; he explained that he suffered from bipolar disease and depression. To cure his disease, he “self-medicated with alcohol.”

Manziel continued by saying in the GMA interview:  “I’m back in that depression and back in that hole, that dark hole of sitting in a room by yourself being super-depressed, thinking about all the mistakes you’ve made in your life, what did that get me? Where did that get me except out of the NFL? Where did that get me? Disgraced?”

Manziel’s brutal honesty earned him much respect and changed the hearts of many who thought Manziel was simply a “bum.” Throughout Manziel’s “comeback”, he has been helped by many friends including famous rapper Mike Stud and wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

With determination and drive, Manziel has jumpstarted his once thought to be dead NFL dream into a realistic goal. Manziel has been very active meeting with different teams to see where he could potentially end up in the future.

With the rise of the XFL, Manziel always has the soon to be new league to fall back on if his NFL dreams don’t work out although Manziel stated, “I won’t stop until I make it back. I’m humbled and hungrier than ever before.”

Manziel journey to re-discovering his greatness was not credited to him but to his girlfriend Bre Tiesi. Manziel exclaimed, “Without her I don’t know where I would be in my life.”

It is obvious that people believe in Manziel and support his dream of playing in the NFL once again. Despite his bipolar tendencies and depression, Johnny has risen above it and has got his head on straight. Everyone seems to be vibing to the Manziel comeback season.

This passion filled journey leaves us all in awe to see if Manziel’s passion is as deep as it seems. This coming year, we will see if all of the hype is for nothing or is well deserved. Whether you like Johnny or not, it is hard to ignore the impact he can have to a team and with his motivation and support moving forward this could be a dangerous combo come game time.

If anyone is going to take the risk with Johnny it is now. He is back and better than ever. As Manziel said, “Eyez on the prize. I have no choice but to make it back.” He is all in and the world is watching to see if the great QB can make it back to the top.

Corbin Scholtes '18, Staff Writer
I’m the darkest kid in the class. Show some diversity and enjoy a hand written sediment written by yours truly