Filed under Opinion

2019 State of the Union, Review

“You weren’t supposed to do that.”

Getty Images
It’s going to be Trump vs. Pelosi all 2019

Although I appreciate our president, I understand he is not perfect.  One area of weakness for our leader is controlled public speaking.  He very often looks robotic but if he strays from the prompt, he usually sticks his foot in his mouth.  In the past I have considered his public speeches successful if he did not insert said foot.  I was pleasantly surprised to watch his recent State of the Union Address.  He had many opportunities in this 82 minute speech to stray off task, but he very much remained focused.

On the brink of another government shutdown, the world watched hoping to see signs of unity and healing in our elected officials.  It was difficult to determine if Trump extended an olive branch to the other side of the aisle.  I guess in his own way he tried to motivate and encourage bipartisanship.  Unfortunately, his campaign personality follows him through his presidency and many have little faith that he can compromise for the common good.

Trump pleaded that the investigations, which have plagued his presidency and attempted to distract the public from his successes, need to stop.  He stayed true to his campaign promises.  Trump continued his case for a US-Mexico border wall and fighting “illegal” immigration.  He blasted the Democrats on their opposition and once again tried to convince them of the need for protecting our borders.  Trump threatened that he would be forced to declare a national emergency if congress could not find a way to work together.  He spoke of rejecting politics and embracing compromise in order to give safety and security to Americans.

USA Today

(taken from USAToday.com)

Trump beamed about the current state of the economy and low unemployment rates.  He spoke to the impact women have had occupying 58% of the newly created jobs last year.  This was one of the only times the women, clothed in white to honor suffrage, stood and cheered. Trump joked, “You weren’t supposed to do that,” as the audience chuckled.  He also made sure that America knew that more women are serving in congress than ever before.  In this rare event, the entire congress chanted, “USA, USA”.

President Trump did not hesitate to “toot” his own horn.  He credited himself with positive relations with North Korea and the prevention of war.  He made a powerful statement denouncing socialism.  This comment made some chant “USA” and others, like Bernie Sanders, scowl.  Many facial expressions displayed by Democrats spoke volumes.  Watching the literal left and right stand to clap, sit in protest, smile with delight, and frown with disgust was a reminder how divided our country is and the importance of respectful back and forth dialogue.

Trump also addressed healthcare.  He asked everyone to join him the fight against childhood cancer.  Grace Eli, 10, was a “special guest” of the President’s.  She raised over $40,000 for St. Jude’s hospital before she was even diagnosed with brain cancer.  Another highlight of the night was when the issue of criminal justice reform was spoken about. Trump boasted about the First Step Act that he signed on December 21, 2019.  Matthew Charles spent two decades incarcerated for drug charges in 1996.  He was recently released under the Act and welcomed by Donald Trump as another special guest of his.

Trump continued to “back the blue” by honoring first responder, Officer Timothy Matson.  He was shot seven times taking down the gunman at the Synagogue shooting.

All in all, whether you like the leader of the free world or not, it’s safe to say Trump will never be boring.

Maxwell Deters '19, Staff Writer

"Should I wear my bean boots or my wallabies?" - Tommy Feldman

"Did you hear?" - Tom Feldman

"SeTon." - Thomas Feldman