Rise of GCL athletes

As most know, the GCL South is one of the best high school football leagues in the nation. The teams of Elder, Moeller, LaSalle, and Saint Xavier have produced some of footballs’ finest over recent years, and more athletes than ever from the GCL South are being represented in the big leagues.

Over the past few years, the GCL has seen some of the greatest athletes to come out of high school and step into the college level and dominate the competition. Elder’s own Kyle Rudolph is the most notable of the GCL players in the NFL. Rudolph was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings out of Notre Dame. He was also the 2013 Pro Bowl MVP and one the best tight ends in the NFC.

Kyle Rudolph after a Vikings' touchdown.
ESPN
Kyle Rudolph after a Vikings’ touchdown.

Another Elder football star in the NFL is Eric Wood who played on the back-to-back State championship teams in 2002 and 2003. Recently, Eric Wood has been named one of the captains for the Buffalo Bills. He has been one of the team’s top linemen having played each individual position on the line at least once.

Saint Xavier’s Luke Kuechly is one of the most dominant linebackers the NFL has ever seen since Brian Urlacher in his prime. Kuechly, since drafted, has started for the Carolina Panthers and was named the Defensive Player of the Year last season. He was drafted as the ninth overall pick by the Carolina Panthers. According to the Panthers’ scouts, Kuechly wasn’t even ready for the NFL.

Luke Kuechly was given horrible reviews. A Carolina Scout told ESPN that he isn’t physically gifted, nor is a great blitzing linebacker, but what he does do is plug up a hole which is all Carolina needed.

Luke Kuechly getting the home crowd hyped up.
Bleacherreport

Alter graduate and current Notre Dame Football quarterback Malik Zaire is making waves around the college level. Before his injury on Saturday, Zaire passed for an 84% in the Music City Bowl against LSU. According to many sports casts, including ESPN, Zaire has the capability to be the next Cardale Jones, who took over the starting quarterback job after Braxton Miller switched to wide receiver, and beat out JT Barrett.

Malik Zaire ended up beating out current Florida State quarterback Everett Golson, who transferred after being beaten out for the starting position in the Music City Bowl game last season. Golson also had several academic charges against him at Notre Dame, which helped prompt the rise of Zaire as the starting quarterback for one of the most historic football schools in the nation.

Current GCL athletes are also on the rise to the college level, including Elder’s quarterback and Co-Player of the Year for the GCL, Peyton Ramsey, who has also committed to the University of Indiana. LaSalle’s running back Jeremy Larkin, also the Co-Player of the year, has been a dominant force in high school and has committed to the University of Cincinnati at the end of his junior year.

Notre Dame Commit Tommy Kraemer is also a rising GCL star, drawing himself as the number six offensive linemen in the recruiting class of 2016. Nick Hall and Joe Schroer are also some Elder football players being recruited. Joe Schroer is currently being recruited by Toledo and received an offer from the school. Nick Hall is being recruited by the University of Indianapolis.

Elder quarterback Peyton Ramsey looking for an open receiver.
EHSports

EHSports

Elder OT Tommy Kraemer setting up a block.
EHSports

When I interviewed Tommy about what his thoughts on the sudden rise of the GCL in the NFL, Kraemer certainly brought up some amazing points. “The GCL players know what it takes to be good players and how much work goes into it.” Kramer said. In response to hearing how Luke Kuechly wasn’t considered a top linebacker by NFL scouts, Tommy said that his heart is what got him and other GCL athletes to the NFL. “People can’t measure the heart of a player just by watching him in high school.”

College coaches know the competition the GCL players face each and every week, and Tommy feels this knowledge is of the competitive level gives the GCL players an edge over all the other conferences. “We (the GCL) can handle the pressure of big games when they are on the line.” Sitting in front of a crowd of 11,000 in The Pit is certainly a big help for guys like Tommy and Peyton who will be playing in the NCAA.

“On Friday nights we (other GCL schools) are big rivals,” Kraemer said. “I’m still good friends with Jake Hausman from Moeller who’s going to OSU and Matt Bockhorst from Saint Xavier who has muptiple offers. Once we are off the field, we all respect each other.”

Kyle Rudolph also believes it is like a brotherhood with the GCL players in the NFL, and feels the current players in college will flow right into the little family no matter what team they end up on. Tommy Kraemer feels this bond already in high school, and is sure other players around the league feel the same way.

There is always a competition between the athletes in the NFL, especially between hometown rivals. But at the end of the day, the GCL athletes are still close and hold true to their GCL roots like brothers.